Color Shifting / Pulsing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 27th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Shifting / Pulsing

Hello,

The footage I have been getting from the EX3 has been pulsing going through different colors. It is very slight and sometimes very hard to see but its definitely there and driving me crazy. Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Color Shifting / Pulsing

Florescent lights is the most likely culprit. As the phase of the lamps changes with the pause of the shutter then the lighting will appear to change colour and flicker.

It's particularly bad if you are shooting at 24p or 24fps in a country where the mains is 60hz or 30fps in a country with 50hz mains.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Alister you for the reply. Definitely not caused by fluorescents as the footage is outside under natural lighting (ie sun), also indoor with only tungsten lights (arri kit). Keeps going to a weird dull color, dull nasty green especially. And it is hard to see you really have to look for it but when you see it I can't see past it. Also always seems to be worse in background than foreground but can be anywhere. Also shooting 1080/30fps if this helps. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Have you got flicker reduction turned on? It can induce flicker. Are you certain its actually in the footage and not an edit suite or computer monitor issue? Beyond that I'm at a loss, other than possibly a fault.
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Major Player

If it's not fluorescent lighting, it could be moiré. I'd try to look at it on another monitor or a different resolution.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Flicker reduction is turned off and still produces this phenomena (although it does not seem to be as frequent). I have tried viewing on several different monitors and viewing on a HDTV and monitor (via MXO2). Still pulsing effect. Any suggestions? I will try posting some footage soon... Thanks
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #7
Trustee

What shutter speed and frame rate are you shooting at?

It could be that the frame rate is clashing with your monitor refresh rate (I presume this will be 60Hz)
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #8
Major Player

I highly doubt this is the case given the EX3 is a good cam, but it couldn't be the AWB swinging around on you?

Do you see it on the cam's screen?
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thank you for your replies. To answer some questions the footage was shot at 1080HQ / 30fps. I have viewed the footage on 2 different monitors, and HDTV and a Macbook Pro and still the same. I did not see it on the monitor but it is hard to see even on a 50" HDTV so I am guessing I would be unable to see the effects on the small camera LCD anyway. My shutter on front of camera is set to off. Flicker reduce is off. In the cameras menu the Shutter Options say
Mode: Speed
Shutter Speed: 1/60
The camera was white balanced and set to "A" preset so no AWB or PRST.
I will try posting some footage but I am away from the files at the moment, but will post soon.
Any Suggestions?
Thanks
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Trustee

As a hunch I suspect you are seeing a rolling shutter effect. I had something similar when shooting s river boat with a long telephoto lens on my EX3 (300mm Nikkor) I didn't notice a change in colour, but did notice a pulsing effect, maybe the overall water colour hid the colour shift. I suspect it is footage that is out of sync with your shutter speed and CMOS scan. I haven't seen the pulsing effect on my footage for some time.

If it is not that, then I too am baffled. Do some more tests with varying shutter speeds.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds