Maybe selling my EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Maybe selling my EX3

I might be selling all of my gear soon. What's a good shape EX3 worth? (has lots of extras but looking for a base price on the EX3). It has roughly 550 hours on the meter and has the latest firmware 1.15 ( I think) from Sony.
I might tell you why I may sell everything later but I was just curious what the camera with stock lens is worth. I also have a baseplate, b and w ir filter and the fujinon 8x wide lens. Those would or might be separate purchases. With my video and audio gear I think I have close to $15k US worth. Any ideas what these cameras are selling for these days?
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Maybe selling my EX3

I can give a full list of extras....I have 3 Sony batteries- 1 stock and two biggies which still hold a good charge.
Old October 18th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For a popular item like this, a search on e-Bay with the "Completed Listings" filter will show you comps and what they have actually sold for (green prices) vs ones that did not sell (red prices).
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks I'll check that out!
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Larry are you interested in going to a 2/3" CCD Sony XDCAM PMW-500 with VF and lens?
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Paul,
I was actually thinking of downgrading to an iphone 4s. It's a pretty insane idea and I will probably keep my EX3 and add the phone to my arsenal. I do plan on creating a market for the the iphone- lower cost for clients, so that I can have more lower end clients to get their video to market quickly and cheaper. Of course, I also edit and my editing rates will hover around the $50 per hour rate (or project rate tbd). I have a sliding scale so I can at least pay the rent. I have made some pretty incredible videos on the iphone 4 with no lights, no sound- just me and my iphone and a steady hand (I'm working on a tripod for it too). Yeah I loose out on manual settings and all the beauties that come with a real camera, but again the iphone is for cut and dry infomercial stuff. I'll keep the EX3 for all the cool jobs.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Trustee

I can't imagine any client being that impressed with anyone turning up for a paid job using an iphone. What excuse could you possibly use if things didn't work out on a shoot, would you blame the iphone?

The iphone may be OK for your home fun movies and making phone calls, but keep you professional video standard on a higher level, don't dumb down your pro status.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for the response Larry, Good luck with your choice of gear.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Major Player

Buy a big camera on eBay that is dead, take the LCD off the camera and mount your iPhone in its place. Then you would look like you're using pro gear ; )
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Huntington View Post
Paul,
I was actually thinking of downgrading to an iphone 4s. It's a pretty insane idea..........
I agree it is pretty insane.
Old October 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Larry are you interested in going to a 2/3" CCD Sony XDCAM PMW-500 with VF and lens?
B&H New York, now lists the PMW-500 as "DISCONTINUED". "This item has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available."
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #12
Major Player

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony would discontinue the PMW500. I had one for testing and it is an awesome camera, but the pricing is (was?) completely insane. It costs 3 times the price of a PMW320 and I do not see any difference in image quality on my 42 inch monitor. Of course the 500 can do 4:2:2 but unless there's a lot of grading or filtering, that is no real advantage as far as I'm concerned. And then again, adding a Ki Pro or a Nanoflash will solve that problem too, for a much lower cost.

Other minor advantages are the ones offered by CCD instead of CMOS (no rolling shutter effect), the shallower depth of field and the flip-out LCD on the side. But these are not worth a 200% price difference... Just my point of view, of course.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Luc, I am very busy and don't want to get into a debate about this but, if you are saying the PMW320 and PMW500 have the same picture quality you surprise me with such an inaccurate statement. That is just not true. CCD vs CMOS is an old story and I do not want to get into that one, I know what I like better and most of my clients like better. I have had and still have some of these cameras: EX1 w/and w/out Nano, F800, PMW350, PMW500, and I have to stay you can't see the difference between the 500 and 800 but the difference is HUGE between the PMW350, EX1 w/and w/out Nano. The PMW500 is the best camera I have ever used and that includes my old Red One.

So now if anyone wants a great deal check out the updated classified ad.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; October 26th, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #14
Inner Circle

B&H has this listed that way but all other retailers have it in stock. Also on Sony's site it is still in production. This has happened with B&H before so I do not take it as fact until I hear back today from Sony and Abel.
Old October 26th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I just heard back from my contact at Abel Cine Tech in NYC. The PMW-500 is NOT discontinued. The camera is now standard with the SDI/Composite Video Input/digital extender option which raises the price $3K.

It would be crazy for Sony to stop producing this camera it is a winner in so many ways.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds