Channel 2 input level switch broken EX1R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 29th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Channel 2 input level switch broken EX1R

I rarely change audio input levels on my EX1R with the 3 position switch under the xlr connectors as I usually am going through my mixer at line level. I was on a shoot yesterday and when I plugged into the press box and changed to mic level on ch.2, I noticed there was no click or resistance at all and I can't be reliably in either mic or line level. Just wondering if anyone else has had this switch fail and if so was it a quick and easy fix? I appreciate any help I can get as I don't want to have this in the shop for too long, hoping my local dealer can turn it around quickly.

Thank You

mb

Last edited by Mark Bolding; October 29th, 2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typed 2 instead of too
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Channel 2 input level switch broken EX1R

Called my local dealer and was told that it sounded like it might be covered under my extended warranty but I would have to send it to New Jersey to find out for sure. They would be happy to work on it here for $ but they don't do Sony warranty work. The main reason I bought locally was to avoid this very thing but clearly I didn't do my research when I bought this camera and extended warranty. Looks like I will try to order the switch and have it installed by someone other than the people I bought this from. I can't see sending the camera off for something so minor and losing rentals while it sits with Sony not to mention shipping costs 2 ways. Such is life.

mb
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Was all that at Midtown Video?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, it was
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Was the back cover on the camera removed?

If so, the switch was probably jammed in the process. Easy for that to happen.

Solution is to remove the cover and reinstall it.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Major Player

That's exactly what happened to my EX1 when I sent it in after the painted lettering wore off....they jammed the switches under a misaligned cover plate.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello John,
I think you are referring to the internal, external switches on the rear of the camera while my problem lies in the 3 position switch under the xlr inputs.

mb
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Could be the same problem if the camera was disassembled. A jammed switch.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bolding View Post
Hello John,
I think you are referring to the internal, external switches on the rear of the camera while my problem lies in the 3 position switch under the xlr inputs.

mb
So sorry Mark. You are right. I didn't read your original posting closely so missed the location of the switches you were talking about. I have the same issue with my EX1 as well. The slide switches below the XLR sockets are extremely vague and have little to no detent left so you have to be extremely careful when you move them.....or get anywhere near them, for that matter. If you DO replace the switch(es), could you list the part number here as I may have to do this myself. My extended warranty ran out back in April.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds