Ex1 high white balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 30th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ex1 high white balance

Has anyone experienced their ex1 giving very high white balance readings? One of ours has begun to, compared with another ex1 in same light conditions, am wondering what causes / solutions may apply. We have done a factory reset and cam is going to the engineer this week, but any thoughts appreciated.
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Ex1 high white balance

Are the lens surfaces perfectly clean? A slight yellowish fogging of the lens could cause this. It's just an idea.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:41 AM   #3
Trustee

I presume you have the same camera profile settings and using the same UV or skylight filters (if any) ?

Do you have any samples that you can post, screen-grab a single frame from each camera, it would be interesting to see how much variation you have.

I use the EX3 and have experienced a slight shift in colour using the same camera but taking a new WB after 30 minutes. You didn't mention what lighting you are using, how you are taking your reading; on tripod, handheld, white card in same position or just hand held. From my experience, I also found the lighting can change colour balance after warming up, even with LED and more so with tungsten lamps.
Old November 1st, 2011, 03:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks chaps - nothing on lens, all settings the same: difference between the two cams is usually about 300-400k. Taking to engineer today - we'll see.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Are you actually seeing a difference in the color of the pictures or just the K reading .
If its the latter pay no attention as the Kelvin readings are only meant to be approximate. If the cameras are balancing differently then its time to send it to the shop - though figure out which one is right first.
It would be valuable to check if the presets look different also.

I had an EX-1 that white balanced fine but the preset was too magenta and that was fixed by Sony service in LA.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Resolved: engineers found that they had not calibrated a replacement lens correctly on the ex1 I bought recently. Now both cameras give WB readings within 100k of each other.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds