Ex1r? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Ex1r?

Peter, you seem to have already set your mind on EX.

But choosing a camera based on your editing system is daft. Particularly when you can easily transcode footage between codecs.

Realtime effects? You're not talking about starwipes and dodgy home movie stuff are you?

You've said you want to be creative? If you are a hobbyist, why bother with a camera like this.
Look around for reels shot on EX's versus DSLRs etc, and you'll see a lot more creativity or 'art' anyway, showing up in the latter.

What an EX gives you over an FS100 or similar:

Slightly sharper video.
A poor servo zoom (Zooms shots are only used sparingly in professional production, rather like auto focus).
Ability to operating handheld for longer running times.

But
Can you deal with the EX lenses lens problems?
Are you happy to use expensive batteries?
You'll need an IR filter to fix the IR contamination that all AX's suffer from!
It's a heavy camera compared to a Z1!

FYI An FS100 with the kit 18-200 lens seems to have amazing autofocus.

For the record the AVCHD codec has proven to be really really good.
And often deemed twice as efficient as XDCAM EX.
Yes it perhaps has to be transcoded, but you aren't working to a deadline are you?

I'm only spending my time writing this, as I really think an EX will offer you very very little.
I only got rid of my Z1 recently, I still loved the handling, the weight, the smooth ramping zoom etc etc.
Sure its old tech, but 1080p is just sharper video, and 1/2 inch is still a tiny sensor.

An EX1 suits my regular commercial work where I need to move fast, hand operate on a jib, and run HDSDI. But a FS100 (for example) would be my choice of camera to shoot everything else. TBH I'm going to hold out for an FS200 perhaps it'll have a fully articulating screen and HDSDI.

Duncan.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
For the record the AVCHD codec has proven to be really really good.
And often deemed twice as efficient as XDCAM EX.
To the second sentence - not true.

It's reasonable to say that AVCHD or H264 *MAY* be twice as efficient as MPEG2 in theory. In practice it isn't, not for the equipment we're talking about. The spec allows for a lot of coding efficiencies - but most real time coders (definitely those in camcorders) don't take advantage of all the possibilities, hence have nowhere near twice the efficiency.

Spend tens of thousands of dollars on broadcast H264 encoders and you may well get twice the coding efficiency of MPEG2. Spend a few thousand dollars on a complete camera and you won't - nowhere near. Current AVC-HD cameras give slightly better than HDV quality (and full raster) at somewhat less than HDV bitrates - but they don't compare with 35Mbs XDCAM EX.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:24 PM   #18
Major Player

So the FS100's 24Mbps ACVHD is worse than an EX1's 35Mbps XDCAM EX
And that it's no better than HDV?

Wow, Sony have really dropped the ball then!
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Peter, contrary to what Duncan implies, people with EX1Rs do creative and artistic work. Example:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/ex-serie...ml#post1704170
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:24 PM   #20
Major Player

Um hold on Les. I didn't imply that you cannot be creative with an EX1. I think I make OK pictures with mine which appears on upwards of 1000 television commercial a year in the UK.

Burgess Pet Care's Supadog Dog Food makes TV Debut! - YouTube
Bill Plant Driving School, National TV Advertisement - YouTube
Go Outdoors - Drama - You Tube
GO Outdoors TV Ad 23/05 - YouTube
Coral Windows TV Advert Oct2011 - YouTube
Views of Holy Island - Anglesey, North Wales - YouTube
OneCall - TV Commercial - YouTube

What I'm suggesting is that if you go hunting on Vimeo for interesting experimental, edgy, arty, cool, short films and promos, there are more being made on DSLR type stuff. Why? Price, size, low light and accessibility I suppose. SDOF is the flavour right now for sure of course too.

An EX1 is a workhorse for sure, but it's no fun.

Duncan.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 10:17 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I have to disagree. The EX1R is a blast. It's my 5D mark 2 that's a pain in the neck. DSLRs make pretty much everything harder to do, take longer, and need a bunch of extra gear to be functional.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
So the FS100's 24Mbps ACVHD is worse than an EX1's 35Mbps XDCAM EX
Yes.
Quote:
And that it's no better than HDV?
It's full raster (1920x1080 versus 1440x1080), and "a bit" better in other respects. How much will vary with individual coders.
Quote:
Wow, Sony have really dropped the ball then!
Not at all. It's a question of market segmentation. I'm sure Sony themselves will tell you that the XDCAM range is seen as higher than the NXCAM range, or you only have to look at prices. Hence part of that is higher priced range gets the better codec. Just look at the FS100 versus the F3. Are you trying to tell us Sony deliberately put the "inferior" codec into the far more expensive F3 !?!

It's also a question of technology. Both they and Panasonic wanted a pro/consumer solid state based format, using consumer (SDHC) memory. The use of SDHC via adaptors in an EX proved it was possible to reliably get 35Mbs onto such - but only when selecting carefully brands of cards etc. Using the lower data rate takes all those hassles away for a manufacturer - and gives longer recording time as well.

They could have put a very high spec H264 coder into the NXCAM range - similar to those used for broadcast transmission - but they alone currently cost many times what the NXCAM cameras cost! In the meantime, they (sensibly) don't. The 2x MPEG2 efficiency remains a goal, achievable only via extremely expensive kit, or non-real time software encoding.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Duncan, and others, thanks for the replies.

I already have a Canon 550 with a nice selection of lenses but I've not had time to get into the workflow for movies yet, so the larger chip and DOF are there if I need them.

I suppose cost is a major factor. My Z1 and Z5, although not having a lot of hours on them, will, soon I think need replacing, so now is the time whilst they still have value. If I was to wait, it will cost me more in the long run.

NO, I don't use "page turns" etc in Matrox, but I like the preset, like the colour effects, I also have Magic Bullets, so I'm definately not one of the "Cheesy Brigade". I do like the real time output to tv with the Matrox, so I have two editing monitors. I've tried using the preview monitor but it's so small, even on a 17" monitor and if you were to suggest getting a larger monitor, that's more expense.

Keep the info coming, although I don't want to start an EX v FS100 war !!

Merry Christmas everybody.
Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Here's a blog with loads of information about the EX cameras from Alister Chapman who posts around here often: XDCAM-USER.COM | Alisters XDCAM blog and cinematography resource.

Also, there's tons of discussion here on DVinfo comparing and contrasting the FS-100 with various cameras including the EX1R. Bottom line IMHO is they are different tools.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds