EX1 horrible rainbow image problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1 horrible rainbow image problem

Hi all,

This horrible thing has started happening almost every time I shoot on my EX1.

Here are two short clips showing the strange effect. It is inconsistent, not affecting every clip, but a lot of them. I notice it most at the start of each clip.

Weird - YouTube shows the strange rainbow effect once the camera pans to the left (ignore the incorrect exposure and interference on the wireless microphone).

Weird 2 - YouTube shows it happening in entirely different lighting conditions. This clip is repeated, once at 100% and then again at 50% speed because it's such a short clip.

When it occurs it sometimes lasts up to five seconds, other times barely even one. I notice it in the LCD display when shooting. I shoot in 1080p25 HQ mode. The clips provided have been exported out of Premiere for Mac in H264 at 720p25 with reduced bit-rates for upload.

I'd love to hear if others have experienced this and whether it's easy (and cheap) to fix...

Thanks,

-- John
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: EX1 horrible rainbow image problem

Is that not fluorescent light interference? Correct me if I am wrong please, I shoot a lot of DSLR and have to fight with all sorts of rolling shutter/banding issues. It is weird though that it occurs when you point the camera outside although the light could still be sneaking in.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I don't think it can be fluorescent light. It has happened in many different conditions, including the exterior shot (which was shot about 30 metres away from any buildings or light sources of any kind (other than the sun). It has happened in my home also, where there are no fluorescent lights.
Old February 1st, 2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Have you got the "flicker reduce" option in the camera menu set to anything other than "off" and are you using the shutter at the same time. Might be the cause, often is.
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Alistair,

Can you explain further regarding the "flicker reduce" option?

Thanks,

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

In the "Camera" menu there is a "Flicker Reduce" option. On early EX1's this was "On" by default which caused all kinds of strobing and banding issues when the user also used the shutter. Later cameras this is now "Off" by default. It's supposed to prevent problems when shooting under artificial lights whose frequency does not match that of the cameras frame rate, but my experience is that it causes more problems than it cures.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds