64gb sxs cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: 64gb sxs cards

Doug,

I consider them bulletproof (compared to the rest) if my opinion counts. But that's just the experience I had, I certainly don't have a reason to lie or make up horror stories and spread them around. If it had been my card I would be pissed, but it wasn't. It was in a chain of a big production company and it wasn't my buisness to investigate any further.

If you want more details I can only give you what I know. And that is that the card worked fine until it was plugged in to a sony's original SXS usb reader at the end of the day. After that windows was unable to see any file structure on the card and when inserted back to the camera it showed media error with no option to restore. After that it was marked as defective, put in an envelope and sent back to the mothership. And not long after that my relationship with the company ended. But the reminder that no system is really 100% safe stayed with me.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Vortex Media

Hi Zoran,

I didn't mean to imply that your story wasn't truthful or that you didn't really experience a legitimate problem. I just find it interesting that every time I hear about a possible SxS problem, it ends in a deadend with no answers when I try to investigate further.
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post

I've been using SxS for over 4.5 years now and XDCAM optical for almost 6 years. Never had any kind of failure or glitch of any kind whatsoever.

That is 100% reliablity.
I run a newsroom with 12 p2 cameras and in the last 5 years we have never had an issue with losing data on cards. I have no concern about it whatsoever. We have however lost far more video than we should due to people being careless and poor media management.
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #19
Major Player

I don't have an extended experience with SxS cards, but I'v worked over 10 years as a press and concert photographer with CF-cards, and during literally over a thousand shootings, I only had one failure. As Murphy dictates, this was a coverage of the start of the Tour de France. Could hardly ask these guys to do it over again for me, could I?

But with a failure rate of 1 in a 1000, I would call solid state media extremely reliable. The only reserve I have is for SD(HC) cards: I find these to flimsy to be trustworthy in a professional working environment.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Just received a notice that there is a Sony sale on 64's and 32's that only the dealer can give you. Call your dealer. I've been using SxS cards since 2007 with only one hiccup on one shoot with a couple of frames in one take in 2008, and I wish I could say that about all those betacam tapes I ran through recorders for 20 years before that! I've never seen such a solid media device.
Chris Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #21
Major Player

chris,
went to sony site, not finding the deal. bh has the 32s for 449.00 . is it a better price than that?
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds