Ex1r "v" z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:35 AM   #1
New Boot

Ex1r "v" z1

Ive been using the EX1R for around a year now. I also have a Z1 which I use on occasion. From looking at old projects it looked like the Z1 was producing better, cleaner footage so i decided to do a test. Film the same footage using both cams. I burned the footage to a disk and the Z1 looks better in colour and image quality. Which begs the question am i using the EX1R to its full potential? I shoot in the highest HD mode so im thinking maybe its the profile setting which by the way i got from the Vortex Media DVD: Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Nearly want to go back to shooting on the Z1.
David Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Ex1r "v" z1

Might help if you could post some frame grabs from both cameras.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:46 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Andy. I havent got the test footage to hand at the moment. But ive attached two images from projects im currently working on. One shot on EX1R (first pic) and the other shot on Z1 (second pic). The EX1 footage just looks so washed out compared to Z1 and when the Z1 is burned to disk it looks cleaner. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Ex1r "v" z1-ex1r.png   Ex1r "v" z1-z1.png  

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

At a quick glance it looks as if the EX1 is lower contrast than the Z1. There shouldn't be any physical reason for that to be neccessarily so, so yes, I think it's most likely a setting problem.

You say "burnt to disc"? Is that a Blu-Ray, or DVD via downconversion? If the latter, then the EX1 won't be getting seen at it's full potential anyway. It's quite conceivable that the extra sharpness may evn give more aliasing issues on the downconvert than the Z1.

If your prime output route is (downconverted) DVD, then I'd recommend using the EX1 in 720p/50 - should make for an easier downconvert as no de-interlacing is needed.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:01 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks David. Stupid question but what is the setting to increase contrast in the menu settings? Is it simply called contrast??

I always downcovert to to DVD via compressor from final cut pro. I use the same settings for both. Is there anyway to prevent aliasing issues?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Something is defiantly wrong. I still have my Z1 hanging around and I occasionally use it as a B camera. However it is noticeably softer than the EX1, there's less detail in darker areas and compression artefacts are more evident. When grading you also can't "push" the Z1 footage as far (I'm currently putting together a showreel that uses some old Z1 footage so I've noticed this in the past few days).

My suggestion is to try some of the picture profile settings that are poster at the top of the forum. Can't remember which one I am using but I haven't touched it for about 2 years as I'm happy.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:59 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi Marcus, thanks for your comments. The screen grabs are from a final cut pro timeline. So no compression or treatment has taken place. The EX1 footage is coming straight from the XDCAM transfer application.

Marcus - Could I ask you a massive favour? Would it be possible to PM or post here your profile settings for the profile you use most? I tried some on the sticky but doesnt make much of a difference. Id really appreciate if you could.

Thanks.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I suggest taking a cup of tea or coffee and browsing into the EX1 picture profile settings explanations. EX1 is a powerful and very adjustable cam that's set flat from out of the box but it can be adjusted so the images really POP out, straight out of the camera.

And IQ is much better compared to Z7...and Z7 is better than Z1, right? (I don't have experience with Z1)
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds