A Couple of Audio Questions for the EX1R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Couple of Audio Questions for the EX1R

I need some advice on setting the Trim Channels 1 & 2 under the audio Input menu of the EX1R. I can go all the way down to a -20db or as high as -65db. I'm guessing I should set them somewhere in the middle. I'm now at -41db. Can anyone tell me what settings they use or if -41db sounds about right?

Also I get a bit confused with Phantom power. I've purchase a very nice Sennheiser XLR microphone. On the camera under the plug for the XLR mic I have three choices, Line, Mic, Mic+48V. Does anyone know what setting I should use? I know not to use the line setting. I've tried the Mic and Mic+48 settings and both seem about the same volume/sound in the headphones. There is a switch I need need to turn on the microphone to get it work work. Thanks for the help.

Larry
Larry Kropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: A Couple of Audio Questions for the EX1R

There's a few discussions here on DVinfo about trim on the EX1 that a search will find. Take a look at this one from a search in the EX forum using "audio trim":
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1668865

Basically you set it based on the mic you are using. You may find a recommendation from someone with the same model mic. I have an NTG1 and use -59.

The setting labelled mic+48 is for sending phantom power to a mic. However, from your description of an on/off switch on the mic, it sounds like it already has it's own battery source for power. That's why it would work the same in both Mic and Mic+48 settings. If you turn the switch on the mic off, you may find that a different behavior where you get nothing in the Mic position and something in the Mic+48 position.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: A Couple of Audio Questions for the EX1R

Perfect advice Les! You solved the problem for me. Mic level works perfectly when I have the mic turned on. W/O it on Phantom power will do fine. I also read the link and learned about the trim. I changed mine from -20bb to -41db and that made all the difference in the world. If I went to -59db that was way too loud and caused distortion. Thanks again.

Larry
Larry Kropp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds