Image shakes/jitters HELP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1
New Boot

Image shakes/jitters HELP

I have two projects I am editing in premiere in which the camera looks like its slightly shaking up and down even though i was nowhere near the camera when it was recording. What do I do?
Tyler Dreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Image shakes/jitters HELP

It's hard to picture what you're talking about because you haven't posted a sample of the video, told us what camera you are using, or given any technical notes about the camera's video settings or the NLE's settings. However, if you were shooting interlaced, perhaps the field order is reversed on your timeline. That's one possibility that might cause some jitters.
Old April 5th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Trustee

I've always been amazed at how well Mercalli 2 works. They make a plugin for Premier too.
proDAD Mercalli V2 - 3D image stabilizer, rolling shutter removal, zoom optimisation, pan shot optimisation
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Major Player

i second mercali 2. its a great program for getting rid of shaky footage.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Vortex Media

How do you know the camera was even shaking? That has not been established from his description of the problem. For all we know, the footage is rock solid and the jitters is caused by problems in post.
It's best to diagnose the problem properly before jumping to a cure.
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Sounds to me like the OIS could have gone haywire. I've heard of this happening on a few Sony camcorders, and my own Z1 was so affected while I was filming near an electric railway a few years ago. But as regards 'what can I do?', I'd say I'm a Mercalli believer too.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Or it could be Premiere alternating between fields if it's interlaced footage, that can cause the image to jitter up and down.
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Alister, good to know you agree. That was one of my suggestions in post #2.
But all we can do is guess without more info. I'm done speculating.
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #9
Major Player

I'd go back to your setup for shooting first. Were you outside - was it windy? Was your tripod set up on on a floor that transmitted vibrations? Did you weight your tripod to dampen vibrations? Then post a clip so we can see the problem.
Old April 8th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #10
Trustee

I am surprised so many have taken the time to respond to this problem, especially as the poster has not uploaded a sample. It seems that quite a few posts have been made on these forums whereby we are being told about a problem, but no sample s are posted. Maybe we should just ignore any posts that do not give the full picture.

On a more positive note, Happy Easter to all.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #11
New Boot

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back.

-The video was captured in an auditorium from an EX3 on a tripod. I was close by but I never touched the camera while it was recording.

-Sometimes the footage seems jumpy if it isn't rendered but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Tyler Dreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #12
New Boot

It might actually just be the camera shaking. I've tried to get a sample up but i don't have the time to mess with it right now. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to get that plugin eventually.
Tyler Dreher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds