EX1 HD-SD external monitoring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1
New Boot

EX1 HD-SD external monitoring

Hi Folks,

I've just had a client drop this on me and I have a limited time to find out if I can do what they want so I would appreciate any help.

I'm about to do a shoot with an EX1. The client is developing a theatre performance with a solo artist. During the shoot they would like the artist to be able to see what the camera is seeing via a projector and screen. At this stage I don't know what the model of the projector is so I have to work on the assumption that it won't accept a HD signal.

My question therefore is this - is it possible to output an SD image while filming in 720p/25. If so what settings and cables will I require? Will I require some kind out converter box between the camera and projector? Can it be done at all?

I have use an EX1 before, but more familiar with the EX3. I have not used any form of external monitor with either cam before so I am a bit in the dark.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: EX1 HD-SD external monitoring

You can set the SDI output to be SD. However, most consumer grade projectors will not take SDI. Most will now take an HDMI, which the EX1 does not have, or you could take a composite SD output from the camera and feed that to the projector. Both the SDI and composite out will work during recording.

-Garrett
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #3
New Boot

Re: EX1 HD-SD external monitoring

That is good news. Thank you for the succinct reply.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds