To Drag Drop or Not at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:23 AM   #1
Major Player

To Drag Drop or Not

Ive read a lot about this on various forums.. personally I use shotput pro .. but just wondering.. apart from the nice messages and and all.. is there actually any logical answer to those who claim there is no difference what so ever.. and if files are lost its some other computer problem .. or that using software to copy is actually safer..?
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: To Drag Drop or Not

I can't say I've seen a resolution to that debate. However, some less tangible reasons to use the software over the Finder are:

Getting support for a corrupted card/file from Sony
I find the Sony software much faster at ejecting the cards then the Finder
The large icons in CLip Browser take less room and display faster than in the Finder
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Why not use the free software?

What good reason is there not to use XDCAM Browser or Shot Put?

XDCAM browser will reconnect spanned files and long clips, can be used to combine or split BPAV folders making file management easier and most importantly does error checking.

Shot Put Pro is invaluable for professional production environments as it can provide logs of copies and backups, so if something does go wrong its easier to trace why and where your files might be.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Major Player

I wanted to give Shotput Pro a try, but the download of the trial version always ends up in a 'damaged disk' error report. So installing it is impossible. Not a good sign...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Why not use the free software?

What good reason is there not to use XDCAM Browser or Shot Put?

XDCAM browser will reconnect spanned files and long clips, can be used to combine or split BPAV folders making file management easier and most importantly does error checking.

Shot Put Pro is invaluable for professional production environments as it can provide logs of copies and backups, so if something does go wrong its easier to trace why and where your files might be.
One thing I have noticed with new version of SPP.. using 10.7.3 is that it wouldn't download files directly to an ext HDD.. only to a folder with the ext HDD.. apple told me something to do with permission with the new OS.. can't remember exactly.. but it worked fine like that.. but not directly just to the ext HDD icon.
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Probyn View Post
One thing I have noticed with new version of SPP.. using 10.7.3 is that it wouldn't download files directly to an ext HDD.. only to a folder with the ext HDD.. apple told me something to do with permission with the new OS.. can't remember exactly.. but it worked fine like that.. but not directly just to the ext HDD icon.
That limitation is actually a good thing. You don't want to clog the root folder on a drive with files. It doesn't matter to the space on the drive but it does matter to the file system on the drive.

I highly recommend using sub-folders to organize and store files and not put them in the root folder of the drive.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes thats what Apple said.Just getting the alarm sound from SPP was alarming :)
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds