XDCAM Browser - No Acquisition tab at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Trustee

XDCAM Browser - No Acquisition tab

I just downloaded and installed XDCAM Browser 2.1. I was using ClipBrowser before. Can anyone tell me why I'm not getting the Acquisition tab to view camera data when I view a clip?

Thanks,
Garrett
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: XDCAM Browser - No Acquisition tab

The reason is because acquisition data is not included in the free version of XDCAM Browser. You have to spend $200 to buy the Advanced Pack. Partner Products: Advanced Pack for XDCAM Browser.

Advanced Pack is an optional add-on that is unlocked by a serial number given to you at the time of purchase. Features of the Advanced Pack include:
XMPilot support (create & edit planning metadata)
Live Viewing & Logging (with XDCAM Proxy)
Print Clip Information
Acquisition Metadata Display

I know what you're thinking, "What the hell? It used to be free and now Sony wants be to pay for it!"

I feel the same way, and I tell Sony that every chance I get. I can understand why the other advanced features aren't free, but we ALREADY had acquisition metadata display -- and then they took it away.
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Doug. And yes, you read my mind and wrote what I was thinking but I have to say in a much nicer way than I would have expressed. Talk about ass backward thinking.. I guess I'll still keep my old version of Clip Browser installed. Not having to record all of the camera data during a shoot is one of the things I now take for granted. Oh well, guess the AC's are going to have to start doing their job... ;-).
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

This kind of business decision by Sony goes straight into my decisions on equipment purchases and has a negative impact on any decision to buy Sony. Having access to the data was key to buy Sony. The converse is true.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
I guess I'll still keep my old version of Clip Browser installed.
Not an option for me. The old browser software already doesn't work with my F3 files. I'm sure you'll eventually have to switch also, but wait until you have to. Maybe they'll come to their senses like they did with S-LOG and suddenly acquisition metadata will be free again.

BTW, I have not purchased the Advanced Pack and don't have it on any of my computers. I miss having the data, but not $200 worth.
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

To those not affected by certain things like F3 mandating the Browser software, (For instance, EX1, EX1R and EX3 users) if a firmware update down the line mandates Browser, don't update if acquisition data is that important to you. The EX1R included Planning Metadata in 1.2, which is a Browser only feature, but fortunately, clip browser 2.6 still supports footage shot with that firmware.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Jack, what exactly IS Planning Metadata?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have no idea since I haven't worked with a copy of Browser with the Advanced Pack activated.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Also please note the XDCAM Advanced Pack got a key serial number and it is ok but i found after i buy-it this is also tied to the Hardware of your system , change something and you may get in trouble .........
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Does the license let you use it on both your desktop and laptop or are we back in software neanderthal times?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds