Focusing issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Focusing issue

We have been shooting some music videos in the last days, and had a problem with focus. We used two EX1 and one EX3, and sometimes it wasn`t possible to fully focus the shot. I turned on peaking, and shot at its maximum, then when we put the footage on big screen, we saw the problem. It was even possible to see on small camera LCD that it is not fully focused. I checked several times that macro is turned off.
I`m trying to think if it is because of high temperature, as we were shooting at around noon, with temperature around 30-40 celsius?

I have attached few frame grabs from ClipBrowser so that you can see what I am talking about..

Does anyone had a similar problem? How can it be fixed?

Thanks for help
Attached Thumbnails
Focusing issue-01.bmp   Focusing issue-02.bmp  

Focusing issue-03.bmp   Focusing issue-04.bmp  

Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Focusing issue

Could be in need of resetting the back-focus: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1524295
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yup, backfocus, you can see clearly in the first screengrab that it is shifted forward. Do the procedure and everything will be fine.

Pula? :)
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Start with your EX3 because that is much easier to access the backfocus menu. Go into "LENS > Auto FB ADJ" to do the auto backfocus. For your EX1s, you'll have to gain access to your Maintenance Menu in order to do an auto backfocus.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for very quick help..I have adjusted the back focus now. Some people say that it drifts away with some time..
@Zoran, tako je, jedan smo spot snimali u Areni :)
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I found mine would need adjusting after being transported or bumped around in the back of a car on rough roads.
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Did the back focus adjustment on my ex1 after I noticed some wide images getting too soft and have definitely noticed an improvement. It was probably long overdue!

Jamie
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Back focus certainly could have caused this issue, but as you were in direct sunlight at noon, is it possible that your exposures were beyond 5.6? The EX1/3 lens image quickly begins to fall apart beyond that point. f/6.7 might pass, but if you are down at f/11 or f/16 chances are you will get images this soft.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds