EX1 need a B cam NEX-5N ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 6th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Major Player

EX1 need a B cam NEX-5N ?

Can any one tell me if the NEX-5N will match up and hold up qlty to my ex1 as a b cam, just need a few cutaways for the wedding ceremonies , thx.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: EX1 need a B cam NEX-5N ?

How odd - the boards are humming to the question of B-Roll cams this morning.

As an EX1 and FS100 shooter, I can confirm that they cut together well assuming some PP work and a weather eye on sharpening/detail - but they'll always require some tweaks in post if you're being critical.

As for the NEX-5N, have seen footage from it and its in the 'Junior FS100' category - some aliasing, some odd highlight handling, but competent. The issues you'll see will be around rolling shutter, 'detail twinkles' and rough aliasing, and pink/green spots around areas of highlight, plus a rather more agressive highlight handling that just 'stops' rather than roll off gently like the CineGammas do.

And don't forget that this is still a 'nEUtered' camera - 29 mins 59 seconds per clip to prevent it being taxed as a camcorder rather than camera. So, not so good if you have to shoot presentations, speeches, or have the camera rolling in an inaccessible spot.

Hopefully Sam Morgan Moore will pop by - he's a fan of the NEX-5N as B & C Roll camera, and will have plenty of examples.
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: EX1 need a B cam NEX-5N ?

Hi, thanks for the info, I have gone with a Song VG20 , got the stock lens , as I only want to use it for tight shots of the bride and from., I'll have a look at a 16mm 1.8 for the ceremony. Seems other are happy cutting it in with the Sony EX1. Time will tell in the next free weeks.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds