ex1r not focusing at infinity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 6th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ex1r not focusing at infinity

Title says it. I simply cannot focus -manually or auto- to infinity. Did this ever happen to any of you?
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: ex1r not focusing at infinity

Sounds like the flange back adjustment of the lens is off. Perform an automatic flange back adjustment (I don't know how that works in a EX1, but it's surely in the manual), and things should be OK.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks I'll try, just found out how to enter the service menu (different for ex1). Only thing it will be hard to print a Siemen star here in Baghdad!
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It's not in the manual.

You have to access the Maintenance Menu by pressing Menu, the scroll wheel and cancel all at once.

You have to make sure your LCD is closed, your LCD backlight is off, and your gain is set to high when pressing the buttons, otherwise it just doesn't work.

Be 3 meters (10 feet) away from either a Siemens Star or a textured surface, then perform the "Auto FB adjust" option in the maintenance menu. Once you activate the maintenance menu, you can actually use your LCD again. Make sure your focus ring is in the AF/MF position. (AKA no orange ring)

If this fails, fully power down and power back up. As strange as this may be, sometimes this fixes the issue. Some EX1Rs experience a fluke loss of backfocus only to never have it happen again.

If that fails, even after fully power cycling a few times, it may be time for service.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Just been there and found the answer for me.

In my case the front element of the lens was a tiny bit lose. Back focus procedure worked perfectly but it would not focus on infinity. My camera was fully serviced and this was not spotted because it passed the Sony bench set up test. Camera came back to test and I just happened to screw a filter on and that's when I spotted the problem.

Here is a link to my demo of it fixed and the explanation sent to the service company for reference.

Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Bruce,

too bad the front element of my ex1r is not loose at all. After watching your clip I was hoping that I found the problem. I still have an ex1 nn r that I'm using here in Iraq but hell, its handle is producing horrible crackling noises!
best

pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds