Shoulder Mount adapter or another camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 11th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shoulder Mount adapter or another camera

Hi All,

I have a Sony EX1 (non R version) and like the camera for most things, however handholding it is not one of them. I mostly do tripod shooting, however I have had times where handheld or shoulder wouled have been much better and I am starting to want to do more of it. I am looking at either getting a shoulder mount adapter for the EX1 such as the Sony NIPROS ST-7 since it can take the V-Mount batteries and other features or selling my EX1 and getting a proper shoulder mounted camera. I know adapter is not as good as a proper shoulder cam, but how does this make the EX1 feel on the shoulder? Is it just barely usable or is it pretty good?

If getting a shoulder cam is recommended more than an adapter, I have been looking at either the Panasonic HPX370 or the Sony PMW-320K. I know the Sony would be a better step, but the Panasonic is a few thousand cheaper (unless the P2 format is unbearable).

Suggestions?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Shoulder Mount adapter or another camera

You may want to try my shoulder kit. It works well and is very affordable, it can be used with AB or IDX style batteries. It also makes the base much stronger.

EX1 Tripod plate
Attached Thumbnails
Shoulder Mount adapter or another camera-ex1tp-4.jpg  
Old October 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a PMW320 now, but I used to have a Z7 before. It was a very good camera, imagewise, but the form factor was a big disadvantage. I tried several adapters to use the Z7 shouldermounted, but nothing beats the real thing. The controls and switches on the PMW320 are easier to use, the weight adds stability, you can use different lenses from Fuji and Canon, professional battery systems, D-tap connection, and so on.

For me, there are two ways to go: camera's like the F3, used on a tripod, or a shouldermounted camera like the PMW320.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Olof.

That camera mount looks very interesting. Just wondering has anyone at this form had experience with this one? Not saying that the plate doesn't look like it can do the job, but just worried about the ergonomics of the EX1 when it is on the shoulder with any mount. I know it will not be a proper shoulder cam, but is it more than usable or is it just akward to use? With buying the ST7 I am thinking about upgrading to the 320, but with the mount at this price, I may look at the mount instead.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #5
New Boot

My 2 cents...

I've had the pleasure of using Olof's shoulder mount for the EX1r and now the EX3... I was coming from years of using shoulder mount cameras (mostly Sony's DSR300s, 570s, etc...). Hand holding the EX1r and even the psuedo shoulder-able EX3 are very trying past about 10 mins... With the shoulder mount system, Olof configured me with a quick release Sony adapter for my tripod's VCT Sony tripod plate (from my DSR camera days) and an Anton Bauer quick release battery adapter that sits to the rear of the shoulder mount. I can go about 20 mins, before needing a break...

I use the Dtap on the shoulder rig to power my light, Nano Flash, or wireless receiver. The Anton batteries also power the camera, but I still keep the Sony battery snapped into the camera just in case I accidentally disconnect the power cable from the Anton Bauer/Shoulder mount rig. I hear that losing power while recording can result in possibly losing your entire clip. Keeping the Sony battery on board also allows me to hot swap out my Anton Bauer batteries (Dionics) without having to power down and then power up the camera. That has saved my a$$ on a few ocassions, when recording long conferences or toasts!

I also have an adapter accessory plate on my rig that easily holds a Nano Flash or a 2nd wireless receiver. I velcro my primary wireless receiver to the Anton Bauer battery as the additional rear weight helps to better balance the rig.

Here is a comfort hand held rating for comparison:

EX1r without rig: 5/10
EX1r with rig: 7.5/10

EX3 without rig: 6/10
EX3 with rig: 8/10

DSR 390/570 shoulder mountable camera: 9/10

I shoot a lot of weddings and Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, so I'm handheld almost all the time (during the reception).
With the quick release plate adapter, pulling the camera on and off a tripod is about the same as my old DSR cameras, however, being able to hot swap out the batteries without powering down the camera, gives my current rig a distinct advantage...

I switched to the EX3 (from the EX1r) because I can use my old 1/2 lenses for additional reach. I do, however, miss the Ex1r's hdmi video out...

Hope this helps!
Joe Lowery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds