DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   XDCAM Browser 2.1 won't export clips for FCP X use (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/511365-xdcam-browser-2-1-wont-export-clips-fcp-x-use.html)

Chad Hucal October 14th, 2012 12:26 AM

XDCAM Browser 2.1 won't export clips for FCP X use

I haven't used my EX1 in sometime and I've recently upgraded my MBP to run Mountain Lion and FCP X 10.0.5.

I've done lots of reading and searches before trying to get everything up and running but I seem to be stuck. I've installed XDCAM Browser 2.1 and found a driver to get Mountain Lion to recognize my SxS cards in the expresscard slot of my MBP.

I open Browser 2.1 and select my SxS card. I can see all the clips and do in/out points and set titles, etc, but when I hit the "Import into Final Cut Pro" bottom I get a pop up window that says;

"A clip that cannot be imported into Final Cut Pro is included. There may be no codec for Final Cut Pro. Please confirm the update information of Final Cut Pro."

Has anyone had this issue and sorted it out? I have a few other questions about Browser 2.1 but wanted to get this first hurdle sorted.

I appreciate any help.

Alister Chapman October 14th, 2012 12:35 PM

Re: XDCAM Browser 2.1 won't export clips for FCP X use

Are there any SD clips on the card?

Chad Hucal October 14th, 2012 07:15 PM

Hi Alister, thanks for the reply.

No, there are no SD clips, only HD 720 clips. Even if I just have one clip loaded in Browser, I get that same message. I also downloaded from Sony the plugin for FCP X, but that's only needed if I'm capturing directly from my camera into FCP X, correct?

Does it matter what firmware I have on my EX1, I'm still running the original version that came with my camera in 2008. The camera never needed repair or service so I never had Sony upgrade the firmware. I don't think that should be the issue anyway.

Is there anything else I can check to see if that's causing the pop up window?

I appreciate any help offered.

Alister Chapman October 15th, 2012 01:04 AM

The XDCAM codecs are not included with FCP-X. Clip Browser has it's own built in codecs. Did you instal the Sony XDCAM plugin because this will contain the codecs.

Chad Hucal October 15th, 2012 06:53 PM

Yes, I did install the FCP X plug in and I just tested to see if FCP X would import directly from the SxS card. It did, no problem. All the footage imported and looks good. FCP X then saves the clips as .mov files in its automated "Event" folder.

So I'm not sure what the issue with Browser is. I would like to get it to work as it should, but what is the advantage of using Browser to import and prepare clips for FCP X over just importing directly from the SxS card into FCP X, which seems to work fine.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to work with my EX1 for almost two years because of other life/time constraints and now that I've got time again to work with my camera, my workflow is all blown up because I've upgraded all my software.

My workflow used to be;

- Shoot footage on SxS card
- Insert SxS card into MBP and drag BPAV folder into a new folder called "Reel 1".
- Shoot another SxS card, drag that BPAV folder into a new folder called "Reel 2".
- Continue this until until I have all the footage I needed.
- Open XDCAM Transfer, import BPAV folder from "Reel 1" and mark in/out points, add quick clip titles, etc, and export to a new folder based on the material, such as "Car Race Footage".
- Repeat this for all the "Reel' folders.
- Open FCP 6 and import all my organize and titled clips and edit away.

From what I can gather no one uses Transfer anymore and they just use Browser 2 which does most of the same thing? So I was going to organize my clips and label them in Browser before importing into FCP X. Is that what most people are doing?

Thanks for any more input on the Browser problem and any workflow suggestions. I'm also trying to get used to FCP X, which is another new learning curve!

Chad Hucal October 20th, 2012 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been unable to figure this out. Has no one else seen this pop up window? I've attached a screen shot of it.

I would like to know the benefits of using Browser 2 over just importing directly into FCP X, if there are any? After installing the plugin for FCP X I can import that way, so I'm curious why others might choose to still use Browser 2 for this?

I really appreciate any input. Thank you.

Chad Hucal October 20th, 2012 02:32 PM

I think I got it to work, that being Browser 2.1 importing in FCP X. I'll play around with it and give an update when everything runs smooth.