DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PMW-100 XQD Cards (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/511393-pmw-100-xqd-cards.html)

David Dwyer October 15th, 2012 07:55 AM

PMW-100 XQD Cards

By using these XQD is there any features of the camera limited compared to the SXS Cards?

Full 50Mbps? 15s cache record? Quick and Slow record?

I know these some of these features are limited on the PMW150&PMW-200 but not sure about the 100 model

Jack Zhang October 15th, 2012 04:32 PM

Re: PMW-100 XQD Cards

If you're purely reading the manual, they say it's limited, but sometimes you can still do it.

I use S&Q on SDHC on 1.20 and 1.30 firmwares for the EX1R. The manuals all say you can't do that, but they never restricted it.

50Mbps does work on XQD because you can format XQD cards with the UDF file format.

David Dwyer October 16th, 2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1758789)
If you're purely reading the manual, they say it's limited, but sometimes you can still do it.

I use S&Q on SDHC on 1.20 and 1.30 firmwares for the EX1R. The manuals all say you can't do that, but they never restricted it.

50Mbps does work on XQD because you can format XQD cards with the UDF file format.

Yeah I downloaded the manual and it said sometimes so was a little confused why it would work once and not again.

Not interested in 60fps at 720p more interested in the interval recording feature with using the XQD cards at making sure its still at the full 50Mbps rate.

Can any PMW-100 confirm?

Doug Jensen October 16th, 2012 05:16 AM

Yes, I can confirm. Interval recording on XQD cards is no problem.

David Dwyer October 16th, 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1758873)
Yes, I can confirm. Interval recording on XQD cards is no problem.

Thanks Doug and is there any feature you can't do on the XDQ cards? Not worried about 60fps at 720p

How do you rate the camera?

Doug Jensen October 17th, 2012 05:06 AM

David,

As far as I have seen, anything you can do with SxS cards you can do with XQD cards. However, with that said, here are the advantages of using SxS cards vs. other cards:

1. In Camera Salvage Functionality for damaged clips
2. Power failure management
3. Slow-Motion Recording is not recommended (I've done it many times and have never had a problem).
4. Media life display for SxS-1 cards
5. The Pro media group offers a service to analyze SxS cards in the case of problems and will attempt recovery if possible. This is not offered for other media.

David Dwyer October 18th, 2012 01:41 AM

Thank you Doug. Would it be possible to share some stock footage from your PMW-100 at 50Mbps? I would just like to test my laptop can handle the footage. I've been using a Z1 for the past 6 years so the PMW-100 would be a massive improvement in image quality.

Do you have a Dropbox or Google Drive Account?

One last question is using these XQD cards is the 4 channel audio available?

( Seems so as long as you are in UDF
UDF
HD422 mode: LPCM 24 bits, 48 kHz, 4 channels )

Many thanks for your help,

David

Doug Jensen October 22nd, 2012 07:43 PM

David,

Sorry for the delay, I almost missed your post.

I don't have any footage that I could easily send you, but unless you are running an ancient computer, you'll have no trouble working with 50 Mbps footage. You couldn't come to any meaningful conclusions anyway even if I did send couple clips, you'd need a lot more than that.

As for 4-channels of audio, that is possible with both UDF and FAT modes regardless of whether your memory card is SxS or XQD. Four channels is also possible in FAT mode with SDHC and Memory Sticks, but neither of those cards work with UDF. There's no downside to using XQD except a slightly higher risk of not being able to salvage damaged footage.

David Dwyer October 23rd, 2012 11:45 AM

Thanks for your help Doug. I'll be stepping up from the Z1 so it should be a nice little upgrade.

Just wondering if I should wait a bit longer so I can afford the PMW-200 or not. If I buy the 100 it would be a long while before I could afford that.

Doug Jensen October 25th, 2012 03:31 PM

David, like I said on another thread, any of the three new cameras would be a HUGE step up from a Z1. Take a look at the 100 first and see if it meets your needs. If not, then move up the ladder.