PMW-100 XQD Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 15th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Major Player

PMW-100 XQD Cards

By using these XQD is there any features of the camera limited compared to the SXS Cards?

Full 50Mbps? 15s cache record? Quick and Slow record?

I know these some of these features are limited on the PMW150&PMW-200 but not sure about the 100 model
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PMW-100 XQD Cards

If you're purely reading the manual, they say it's limited, but sometimes you can still do it.

I use S&Q on SDHC on 1.20 and 1.30 firmwares for the EX1R. The manuals all say you can't do that, but they never restricted it.

50Mbps does work on XQD because you can format XQD cards with the UDF file format.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
If you're purely reading the manual, they say it's limited, but sometimes you can still do it.

I use S&Q on SDHC on 1.20 and 1.30 firmwares for the EX1R. The manuals all say you can't do that, but they never restricted it.

50Mbps does work on XQD because you can format XQD cards with the UDF file format.
Yeah I downloaded the manual and it said sometimes so was a little confused why it would work once and not again.

Not interested in 60fps at 720p more interested in the interval recording feature with using the XQD cards at making sure its still at the full 50Mbps rate.

Can any PMW-100 confirm?
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Vortex Media

Yes, I can confirm. Interval recording on XQD cards is no problem.
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Yes, I can confirm. Interval recording on XQD cards is no problem.
Thanks Doug and is there any feature you can't do on the XDQ cards? Not worried about 60fps at 720p

How do you rate the camera?
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #6
Vortex Media

David,

As far as I have seen, anything you can do with SxS cards you can do with XQD cards. However, with that said, here are the advantages of using SxS cards vs. other cards:

1. In Camera Salvage Functionality for damaged clips
2. Power failure management
3. Slow-Motion Recording is not recommended (I've done it many times and have never had a problem).
4. Media life display for SxS-1 cards
5. The Pro media group offers a service to analyze SxS cards in the case of problems and will attempt recovery if possible. This is not offered for other media.
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you Doug. Would it be possible to share some stock footage from your PMW-100 at 50Mbps? I would just like to test my laptop can handle the footage. I've been using a Z1 for the past 6 years so the PMW-100 would be a massive improvement in image quality.

Do you have a Dropbox or Google Drive Account?

One last question is using these XQD cards is the 4 channel audio available?

( Seems so as long as you are in UDF
UDF
HD422 mode: LPCM 24 bits, 48 kHz, 4 channels )

Many thanks for your help,

David

Last edited by David Dwyer; October 18th, 2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Vortex Media

David,

Sorry for the delay, I almost missed your post.

I don't have any footage that I could easily send you, but unless you are running an ancient computer, you'll have no trouble working with 50 Mbps footage. You couldn't come to any meaningful conclusions anyway even if I did send couple clips, you'd need a lot more than that.

As for 4-channels of audio, that is possible with both UDF and FAT modes regardless of whether your memory card is SxS or XQD. Four channels is also possible in FAT mode with SDHC and Memory Sticks, but neither of those cards work with UDF. There's no downside to using XQD except a slightly higher risk of not being able to salvage damaged footage.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for your help Doug. I'll be stepping up from the Z1 so it should be a nice little upgrade.

Just wondering if I should wait a bit longer so I can afford the PMW-200 or not. If I buy the 100 it would be a long while before I could afford that.
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Vortex Media

David, like I said on another thread, any of the three new cameras would be a HUGE step up from a Z1. Take a look at the 100 first and see if it meets your needs. If not, then move up the ladder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds