EX-3 replacement - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 25th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: EX-3 replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
We had a long thread about this a few years ago and I'm not going to go into it again. There is something about that 2/3" CMOS sensor (the only camera that uses it) or it's image processing that does not look good...

...If you want me to be more specific, sorry, I don't have time to run over this old ground again.
I think the Sony PDW-680 uses the same chip block but I could be wrong. We'll have to agree to disagree but I have had the opposite reaction from anyone I have worked with. There are cameras which to my eye produce a more pleasing image but not the EX1/3.
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #17
Vortex Media

Yeah, no problem with agreeing to disagree. Different people are looking for different things out of the cameras. And a lot depends on the picture profile, exposure techniques, and whether you are going to grade in post or not. However, I just couldn't let David's comment in post #9 go by without offering a counterpoint because not everyone feels the same way about the 350 vs. the 1/2" cameras.
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #18
Major Player

Agreed, sharing opinions and information are what these forums are for.

Very good point about picture profiles and setup. I'd say camera setup is more important than camera choice for many cameras nowadays. I've seen very good cameras produce very poor results because of poor setup. Many professional camera people I know never change the picture profile at all!
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #19
Vortex Media

Now, we can agree to agree!
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
However, I just couldn't let David's comment in post #9 go by without offering a counterpoint because not everyone feels the same way about the 350 vs. the 1/2" cameras.
Well, as I've got the PMW320, I suppose I should be pleased by what you say........! :-)

You have to admit it's odd though? You can hardly tell the 320/350 apart just by looking at them, and by all accounts they share a lot in common internally, including elements of processing. Same manufacturer, so much in common, yet the far more expensive one is (in your opinion) inferior to the much cheaper one? Glaring difference is (as has been said) 1/2" v 2/3" chips - and cost. Since there was no question of my paying the money for a 350 I didn't look too closely at one - but a colleague did and came to the conclusion it was better overall, especially regarding sensitivity. There is also the matter of better pro lens availability for 2/3" (more money.... :-) )

I can't help thinking about Mike's comment - can you be sure it wasn't that you're basing opinion on a rogue unit?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #21
Vortex Media

I've had my hands on more than one of those cameras.
And how do explain the findings of the clients I consulted with? I may have biased them a little by telling them to compare, but I wasn't even present when they did their own testing. But they came to the same conclusions as I did.
Old October 25th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
I may have biased them a little by telling them to compare, but ............
Out of interest, what did they settle for eventually?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #23
Vortex Media

500's , 800's, and 320. Maybe an EX3 too, but I'm not sure on that.
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Dolgin View Post
Yes, it got the D-Tap!
Sorry for the late follow up. I just found the news release, but the explanation that it is compatible with the DC pigtail still connected on the battery when it's installed on a PMW-100/200, but requires the DC pigtail to be connected to the DC IN on EX1s and EX3s baffles me. Theoretically, this would also mean the other cameras can communicate with the chip inside the battery as well.

Still doesn't mean you can hot-swap batteries on the 100 and 200. Also doesn't leave out Sony blocking use of the batteries in future firmware updates.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Still doesn't mean you can hot-swap batteries on the 100 and 200. Also doesn't leave out Sony blocking use of the batteries in future firmware updates.
Correct. Sony designed the PMW-100 and 200 to be limited. It's been stated here that "broadcast shooters" don't "give a *#$%" about OEM batteries. No doubt they feel the same way about keeping a camera rolling when changing their Sony batteries as you could with the EX-1 and EX-3.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #26
Tourist

Getting back to the EX-3 replacement subject, I will consider at buying an updated changeable lens version after using the PMW-200 I recently purchased. I normally shoot with a Sony HDW-730s, Panasonic Varicam "H", sony PDW-F800. I had an EX-1 for 4 years because a client required a backup camera for out of country trips. I used the EX-1 for clients with lower budgets, mostly for web content. The reason I didn't buy an EX-3 was I didn't see myself buying 1/2" lenses instead of 2/3" gear that I mostly use. After shooting several days with the 200, my clients, editors and I all agree that there is a definite overall improvement over the ex. But..............
I have already had a problem with the 200. I have the little bebob zoom control that worked with the 200 the first time, and that was it. The 200's zoom port is bad. I shipped the camera into Sony, (at my expense) which is unfortunately the only way to get warranty repair. They had it for 3 weeks. I had a shoot come up and it was a huge hassle, taking several days and phone calls to get them to send it back, barely in time. Surprisingly, it worked for the 1st interview....then failed again. You are not allowed to speak directly with the technician working on your camera, which is ridiculous. You cannot get any feedback about the status, or any other information other than confirming they have it. It's a shame they can't figure out how to provide customer service. I will have to factor that into my decision to buy another sony product.
Chris S. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #27
Major Player

Not allowed to speak to the repair technician? Which Sony center did you send it to? That has not been my experience--I've regularly been in contact both by phone and e-mail with the guys working on my gear.

Now...the absurd length of turnaround time and sometimes murky updates about the progress of the repair...I think we've all been there with Sony.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds