DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   sony sxs adapter/sandisk card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/511969-sony-sxs-adapter-sandisk-card.html)

Jim Stamos November 8th, 2012 11:12 PM

sony sxs adapter/sandisk card

ive been using sony sxs cards only for my ex1r. im going to buy , with alittle hesitation the sony sxs adapter and a sandisk 32gb class 10 card, praying i wont have issues since im buying the sony adapter.
there are 2 different sandisk cards at bh. one is the extrame 45mb/s, and the extreme pro 95mb/s , which is 64.00 , i assume its better to buy the pro?
anyone using these?

Marcus Durham November 9th, 2012 04:19 AM

Re: sony sxs adapter/sandisk card

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1762732)
ive been using sony sxs cards only for my ex1r. im going to buy , with alittle hesitation the sony sxs adapter and a sandisk 32gb class 10 card, praying i wont have issues since im buying the sony adapter.
there are 2 different sandisk cards at bh. one is the extrame 45mb/s, and the extreme pro 95mb/s , which is 64.00 , i assume its better to buy the pro?
anyone using these?

The Extreme 45mb/s is fine. It's more than fast enough and is actually the same speed as last years Extreme Pros that I was buying. The only difference between Extreme and Extreme Pro is speed and the Extreme is actually far faster than the cards we were using 2/3 years ago anyway.

I do however use them in combination with MxM adaptors and not Sony adaptors and therefore cannot make any recommendation as to their compatability with anything other than genuine MxM cards.

Jonathan Bird November 9th, 2012 10:04 AM

I have had no problems with any class 10 cards I have used. I only buy quality cards (Lexar/Sandisk) so I haven't experimented with the ultra-cheapies.

Jack Zhang November 9th, 2012 10:13 AM

I use the Sony SDHC adapter and all I can say is that it is solidly built. There may be a throughput limit on the adapter itself, but that's part of the reason it's so reliable. There have been many reports of Hoodman adapters falling apart but so far, no reports of Sony adapters ever falling apart.

I use Kingston, Lexar and Sandisk cards and never had a problem with them. The ones I'd feel sketchy about are the Transcends, PNYs, and generic brands.

Jim Stamos November 10th, 2012 01:53 AM

jack are you using the extremes or the extreme pros on the sandisk cards

Jack Zhang November 10th, 2012 10:17 AM

Extremes. I have been able to Overcrank with these cards (at least the ones I own, 8GB) for upwards of 1-2 minutes and I wouldn't doubt it could overcrank for longer.

If you're getting a GH3 that records 72Mbps, you'll need the Extreme Pro, but for strictly EX1R usage, stick to Extreme.

Marcus Durham November 13th, 2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1762956)
Extremes. I have been able to Overcrank with these cards (at least the ones I own, 8GB) for upwards of 1-2 minutes and I wouldn't doubt it could overcrank for longer.

If you're getting a GH3 that records 72Mbps, you'll need the Extreme Pro, but for strictly EX1R usage, stick to Extreme.

I've overcranked a 32gb Sandisk Extreme to 50fps for 2 hours using an MxM adaptor. The camera was also pointing at a TV with a moving image on it. In fact its part of my regular "stress" testing for new cards.

May not be possible with 60fps but I have no reason to try that.