sony sxs adapter/sandisk card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Major Player

sony sxs adapter/sandisk card

ive been using sony sxs cards only for my ex1r. im going to buy , with alittle hesitation the sony sxs adapter and a sandisk 32gb class 10 card, praying i wont have issues since im buying the sony adapter.
there are 2 different sandisk cards at bh. one is the extrame 45mb/s, and the extreme pro 95mb/s , which is 64.00 , i assume its better to buy the pro?
anyone using these?
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: sony sxs adapter/sandisk card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
ive been using sony sxs cards only for my ex1r. im going to buy , with alittle hesitation the sony sxs adapter and a sandisk 32gb class 10 card, praying i wont have issues since im buying the sony adapter.
there are 2 different sandisk cards at bh. one is the extrame 45mb/s, and the extreme pro 95mb/s , which is 64.00 , i assume its better to buy the pro?
anyone using these?
The Extreme 45mb/s is fine. It's more than fast enough and is actually the same speed as last years Extreme Pros that I was buying. The only difference between Extreme and Extreme Pro is speed and the Extreme is actually far faster than the cards we were using 2/3 years ago anyway.

I do however use them in combination with MxM adaptors and not Sony adaptors and therefore cannot make any recommendation as to their compatability with anything other than genuine MxM cards.
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have had no problems with any class 10 cards I have used. I only buy quality cards (Lexar/Sandisk) so I haven't experimented with the ultra-cheapies.
Jonathan Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I use the Sony SDHC adapter and all I can say is that it is solidly built. There may be a throughput limit on the adapter itself, but that's part of the reason it's so reliable. There have been many reports of Hoodman adapters falling apart but so far, no reports of Sony adapters ever falling apart.

I use Kingston, Lexar and Sandisk cards and never had a problem with them. The ones I'd feel sketchy about are the Transcends, PNYs, and generic brands.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Major Player

jack are you using the extremes or the extreme pros on the sandisk cards
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Extremes. I have been able to Overcrank with these cards (at least the ones I own, 8GB) for upwards of 1-2 minutes and I wouldn't doubt it could overcrank for longer.

If you're getting a GH3 that records 72Mbps, you'll need the Extreme Pro, but for strictly EX1R usage, stick to Extreme.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Extremes. I have been able to Overcrank with these cards (at least the ones I own, 8GB) for upwards of 1-2 minutes and I wouldn't doubt it could overcrank for longer.

If you're getting a GH3 that records 72Mbps, you'll need the Extreme Pro, but for strictly EX1R usage, stick to Extreme.

I've overcranked a 32gb Sandisk Extreme to 50fps for 2 hours using an MxM adaptor. The camera was also pointing at a TV with a moving image on it. In fact its part of my regular "stress" testing for new cards.

May not be possible with 60fps but I have no reason to try that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds