SBACUS20 when for sale? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 6th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Major Player

SBACUS20 when for sale?

Cant find the reader on B&H.. even though they have the new reader (Coming soon) for the F5/F55 cards ???
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: SBACUS20 when for sale?

Probably be available at the end of January.
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Ok thanks.. I had heard Dec.. I bought one of the last 17inch EXP card MBP.s .. big and heavy but love the no cables slot.. but now I see less and less "small HDD" with firewire.. pretty sure thats on the way out.. and no 500GB/1TB small size thunder bolt drives.. (why didnt that ever happen)

So now thinking to get another smaller air mac and go USB 3. I have the sonnet reader too.. but the last software conflict with 10.8.2 makes me think I need the SBAC20 as main reader or at least back up.. and now that its BUS powered all the better..

Thanks
Old December 8th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Lacie makes a small 1Tb thunderbolt / USB rugged HD.
Retails for $250 at Apple store,
Mine seems to work ok.
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Bob

Didnt see it in the Tokyo apple shop.. Ive had problems with the rugged drives before.. probably just bad luck and everyone seems to have a brand they dont like due to unlucky failures.. mine just happens to be the rugged drives.. ! although they do seem to be an industry standard ..

Im often sending drives fedex to clients.. or handing them over at the end of a shoot.. its not drives I hang onto myself.. otherwise i,d buy an expensive G tech or something.. it basically only has to be used a few times to serve its purpose/cost..

I liked the Western Digital passport 500GB drives that were about $140 but looks like they have stopped using FW.. USB3 only..

For a longer shoot the Lacie 1 TB would be worth the cost though i would think. thanks for the info..
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Major Player

You might look into the Seagate drives with the removable GoFlex adapter. Thunderbolt seems too expensive to hand out every day at the end of the shoot. With GoFlex drives you could use a thunderbolt adapter for quick transfers, and then hand off with the cheaper USB3(/2) adapter,
I have had similar problems with Lacie drives, so I never buy them. Clients often bring them. When they work properly they can be very good. I've gotten sustained tranfer rates of over 110MB/sec from an Asus USB3 laptop (apter updating the USB3 drivers) to Lacies when they work well (<5minutes to transfer a full 32GB SxS-G1a card), but have had more than a half dozen issues with client-owned Lacie drives. I'm amazed that a client will sometimes bring a drive and say 'I'm getting error messages' or 'I can't mount this in my computer' and not only expect me to make it work, but also believe that they will be able to get the data back off a problem drive! At one point I was told that the Lacie drives required more power than those from other manufacturers. Don't know if it's true, but have had fewer problems with them via USB3 than via USB2 (and USB3 seems to have a higher power output spec).
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #7
Inner Circle

+1 for Seagate GoFlex drives. I use them all the time, very versatile and flexible.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
You might look into the Seagate drives with the removable GoFlex adapter. Thunderbolt seems too expensive to hand out every day at the end of the shoot. With GoFlex drives you could use a thunderbolt adapter for quick transfers, and then hand off with the cheaper USB3(/2) adapter,
I have had similar problems with Lacie drives, so I never buy them. Clients often bring them. When they work properly they can be very good. I've gotten sustained tranfer rates of over 110MB/sec from an Asus USB3 laptop (apter updating the USB3 drivers) to Lacies when they work well (<5minutes to transfer a full 32GB SxS-G1a card), but have had more than a half dozen issues with client-owned Lacie drives. I'm amazed that a client will sometimes bring a drive and say 'I'm getting error messages' or 'I can't mount this in my computer' and not only expect me to make it work, but also believe that they will be able to get the data back off a problem drive! At one point I was told that the Lacie drives required more power than those from other manufacturers. Don't know if it's true, but have had fewer problems with them via USB3 than via USB2 (and USB3 seems to have a higher power output spec).
Hi Dave & Alister

Ok thanks.. havnt heard of the Goflex adaptor.. so you can down load with the TB adaptor.. and then send off the drive with a USB 3 adaptor .. ? each HDD as the adaptors in the box.. anyway Ill google them.. unless they arnt available in Japan.. for some nutty reason..
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Major Player

When you buy a Seagate go-flex drive it is usually packaged with a single adapter on it. Most of the ones I've bought lately have had the USB3 on them, and have been very reasonably priced. I even picked up a couple of extra drives on Black Friday, when they were downright cheap.
The Thunderbolt adapter would need to be purchased separately (and is more expensive.)
Other adapters are also available.
Interestingly enough, Convergent Design has chosen to go with the GoFlex connector system for one of their current (second generation) transfer stations for Gemini SSD's - allowing the user to make their own choice what adapters to get.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Dave

I bought the big 17 inch MBP only in April I think.. when I desperately needed a way to down load without using the the USB2 card reader.. (too slow for 50 mbps) and the exp card/FW combo has worked very well.

But will probably go for USB 3 air mac.. keep the 17 for back up.

Good to know Seagate is a good brand..

Thanks
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Probably be available at the end of January.
B&H taking pre orders now.. yes I guess/hope sometime in Jan.. Im on the list anyway !!

Thanks
Old December 28th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Major Player

Is there anyone using an alternative for a Windows machine? I don't have a express card slot and don't want to purchase the USB2 reader from Sony. I need it before the end of Jan so can't wait for the USB3 to be released.

I was thinking about purchasing the MXM USB2 as a stop gap. Can issues using this reader with SbS 64G1A?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Just got the USB3 reader from B&H via UPS to Tokyo.. !! now only have to buy yet another mac with USB3 ports.. probably 15? inch mac air.. 2 x USB3 and 1 or 2 TB I think..

Annoying there isnt one at least with EXP card slot, USB3 and TB.. then life would be too easy I guess..
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Any possibility of a SBACUS30 with USB3 and TB interface.

I have 2011 27 Imacs with TB but no USB3.
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal View Post
Any possibility of a SBACUS30 with USB3 and TB interface.

I have 2011 27 Imacs with TB but no USB3.
I doubt it THB.. but sonnet make a exp card box that can be used for down ,loading SXS cards..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds