PMW200 LCD Colour Shift at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Major Player

PMW200 LCD Colour Shift

Has anyone else found that their PMW200's LCD shifts towards green/yellow?

I can see a huge difference between my EVF and LCD. My EVF also matches my external HDSDI monitor.

Cheers
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: PMW200 LCD Colour Shift

Hi, I noticed the same problem. There is a big difference between EVF and LCD colors. I own a EX1R too and managed to color balanced EX1R with 200 through HDSDI output using vectroscope. Both camcoder have a same color on external monitor, EX1R has a quite similar colors on LCD but PMW200's colors are significantly shifted toward green. This is really annoying and confusing when using both camcoders.

I checked a second PMW200 unit but the problem was same. Is this a global problem with PMW200? Is there a option to calibrate LCD in service menu?
Lukas Hribik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #3
New Boot

I have the same problem. Looks dark green. Always makes you second guess your exposure and white balance.
Duane Dubiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Major Player

I took my pmw200 to the Engineering bench at Sony NZ to go over it with their head engineers.

It seems the camera does have a green bias on the LCD however it is actually the EVF that is even less accurate on the camera.

They believe the EVF has a Sony 'Vivid' look. (Talking in Sony Bravia marketing)

I then went and spent my first real day shooting on the camera out and about. After using the camera I am now of the opinion that the LCD is too contrasty and needs to be flattened out. The EVF is the same.

Both 'monitors' are definitely different colours though.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #5
New Boot

Joe, is there same service procedure to calibrate LCD or we are supposed just to live with it?
Lukas Hribik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Not so long ago I shot side by side (the cams were set up identically) with a colleague who recently (summer 2012) changed the EX1 LCD and the difference between my cam and his cam was astounding. His LCD had a terrible green tint compared to mine.

Looks like they're all like that now :(
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #7
New Boot

Is there a way to adjust the colors of the lcd monitor from the service menu and how can I access it?
Gregory Argyropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Not real excited about this. So do I buy a new EX1r now and wait awhile until they get more bugs worked out before I buy the -200. I already have one EX1r and I love the camera. No color shift issues at all between the view finder and LCD. Thanks.

Larry
Larry Kropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey, I have noticed my EVF is very green , on the pmw 200, I just got a EX1 and the EVF is so much better. Hmm.hope the fix this with a firmware update.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #10
New Boot

I have both ex1r and pmw 200. Only pmw 200 has the problem. If I can’t solve this soon, I will buy another ex1r, because I can’t carry an external monitor with me all the time. There are three of my colleagues waiting sony to solve the problem, so they can buy pmw 200 too.
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Hribik View Post
Joe, is there same service procedure to calibrate LCD or we are supposed just to live with it?
Does anyone know how can I access service menu on pmw 200 and how can i adjust lcd colors?
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Where can I get a new EX1r? B&H is out of stock. I think we let Sony sit with the -200's until they
get all of their issues fixed. Thanks.
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Maybe another issue with -200. I've read where you can't fit a wireless receiver on the hot shoe and open the LCD at the same time. Could that be true?? What about adding a onboard shotgun microphone. Any issue with that? Does it have a hot shoe at the back of the camera like the EX1r?
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kropp View Post
Maybe another issue with -200. I've read where you can't fit a wireless receiver on the hot shoe and open the LCD at the same time. Could that be true?? What about adding a onboard shotgun microphone. Any issue with that? Does it have a hot shoe at the back of the camera like the EX1r?
The LCD opens from the top of the camera just behind the hot shoe. On one hand this allows you to fit a matte box on the lens in a way you couldn't with the EX1. The hot shoe is fine for mounting a slim LED light like the LitePanels LP-Micro. The back of the handle has a 1/4" thread in it for another mounting point. I got a 1/4" to HotShoe adapter for times I want to mount a second hotshoe item instead of something using the 1/4" thread (like a monitor - which I wouldn't trust on a hot shoe.)
The mic holder is to the right of where the LCD closes, so there are no clearance issues with mounting a shotgun in it.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kropp View Post
You can't fit a wireless receiver or a comer led light on the hot shoe and open the LCD at the same time.
Gregory Argyropoulos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds