Windows 8 & Clip Browser at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 13th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Trustee

Windows 8 & Clip Browser

Is anyone else having problems running Clip Browser under Windows 8? The Clip Browser crashes when I point it to a folder containing EX3 clips when using Win 8 (64 bit), although no problems when using Win 7 (64 bit & 32 bit)
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Windows 8 & Clip Browser

Try using the new Sony XDcam Browser. It's the new updated version to replace the XDcam Clip Browser.
Duane Dubiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The only thing you're losing going to XDCAM Browser is the Acquisition tab. Otherwise, it's mostly the same. However, to get that tab back in XDCAM Browser, you have to upgrade it for $200.

I would say use a dedicated 7 machine for ingest. Since you cannot dual boot 8 and 7 on the same machine (thanks to the "Secure Boot" locked bootloader), it's better to run legacy apps on 7.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #4
Trustee

Thank you for this information, I have just downloaded Sony Content Browser 2.0 but see that I need a serial number to activate it. I don't remember being supplied with any number for installing Clip Browser - any suggestions as to where I can find it.?

Jack, I am running a dual boot system, albeit each OS has its own SSD drive, I use two SATA caddies to insert HD Drives for data storage etc. I still like using Win 7 but run Win 8 for reviews and screen shot tutorials.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Trustee

I downloaded version 1.1 and that is running OK, will try it on Win 8 shortly. In the download instructions it says that it would uninstall Clip Browser, it hasn't done this, now I have both Clip Browser 2.6 and Content Browser 1.1 running on my system, I guess I have the best of two applications. Not sure if there is much advantage of trying to install Content Browser 2.0 as I only use the EX3 camera (also use Canon XF305 and others)

Just tried Content Browser 1.1 with Win 8 (64 bit) and it is working fine. Thank you for the tip.

Last edited by Vincent Oliver; February 14th, 2013 at 03:06 AM.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It's asking for a serial because it costs $200 for additional features. Clip Browser (minus the conversion features) is free, so there is no serial number required.

They've now combined NXCAM and XDCAM EX and HD browsing in Content Browser, but you will lose your Acquisition tab nonetheless. To even get NXCAM functionality, you need to buy it for another $20.

I'd still say being on Windows 7 is a comfortable place to be as the older free versions of the browser software will work. Those have more features anyways.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds