PMW200 for Australian ENG work? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:48 AM   #16
Space Hipster

Re: PMW200 for Australian ENG work?

David,

Have you considered the HPX600? I assume you already own the HPX502. The 600 is pretty light for a 2/3" shoulder mount cam, about 6.6 lbs (body only) according to Panasonic.That's about 2 lbs lighter than the 502. You could re-use your zoom lens, batteries and the P2 cards. You're already set to go. Of course, it costs about twice as much as a PMW200, but you will get the full-size shoulder mount design with AVC-intra codec.

I used to have an HPX500. It was a nice camera, but just doesn't compare image wise to the modern full raster cameras of today. The 600 or the Sony PMW200 will give you a much better image, and both will be lighter. I'm also an aging videographer, so I feel your (back) pain. ;-)

Right now I use the FS100. It's a nice little camera, but it misses a lot of features in a broadcast camera - a true broadcast codec, time code in/out, SDI, gen lock. I am also considering the PMW200, or an EX1R/3, as the XDCAM cameras seem to be in high demand. If clients request them, that means more work for me.
I also use an EX3 on a regular basis. It's not a true shoulder mount design, as most of the weight of the cam is well forward of your shoulder with no counter balance in the rear, so it can become fatiguing.

I'd like to have the HPX600 as I still have the zoom lens, P2 cards and batteries left over from my 500, but my budget is aimed more toward the cheaper Sonys. Too bad, as I got to play with a 600, and it's a sweet camera.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:53 AM   #17
Space Hipster

Re: PMW200 for Australian ENG work?

Also, if you're mainly doing TV news and corporate, the JVC HM700 family is really nice. They're probably the most comfortable, lightest, shoulder mount cameras for news. They're pretty popular here in the states, and they can shoot XDCAM to SD cards. You can also re-use your batteries.

And don't forget the HPX370! Again, you can re-use your P2 cards and batteries from the 502. It's lighter and has a better image and codec than the 502, and it's a true shoulder mount cam.
Lots of options for you out there.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds