testing S&Q: not able to export clip as MXF for NLE? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Major Player

testing S&Q: not able to export clip as MXF for NLE?

Hi there,
I've got a PMW-200, and I'm wanting to capture some slow-motion footage.

In MENU I've gone into 'OTHERS' and changed to UDF, HD422 720/29.97, and then in CAMERA SET, in S&Q, I've selected a frame rate of 60, and then switched the S&Q setting to ON.

When I play back a test shot in the camera, it looks good.

But in Content Browser (I'm on a Mac, by the way), the clip is marked with a lock (though my SxS card is not locked), and when I right-click on the shot, I don't get most of the EXPORT options (my normal one is to export MXF for NLE).

Am I making a basic mistake of some sort?
Thanks for any advice,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: testing S&Q: not able to export clip as MXF for NLE?

When recording on the card in UDF / 422 mode, it's already recorded as an MXF file. Just look in the 'Clips' folder on the card.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Dave - that clears up this particular mystery nicely. Now I have another issue (of course): I just tried importing this file directly into Avid, and I get an error message saying "MXFImport: XDCAM - unrecognized resolution". I'll pursue this on the Avid forum where I go for editing advice.
Thanks very much for your help with my inability to export... glad that's straightened out!
Malcolm
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Major Player

quick note to say that although I can't seem to import this new file into Avid, even if I change the project resolution to 720p (from 1080p), I can link to the file via AMA... so everything's good now.
thanks again,
Malcolm
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Malcolm: I've been having pretty good success lately just using AMA to pop the SxS card media into AVID, and then immediately transcoding into whatever video level you choose inside the bin.

This eliminates the "export MXF for NLE" process into a remote folder, then manually importing from that folder into the AVID mediafiles drive.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Bill,
Yes, I was very slow to come to AMA, but I'm now a convert. And I do what you do: link via AMA, and then transcode. It seems to work incredibly well.
Thanks very much,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds