Is my computer going to choke to death trying to edit EX3 footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is my computer going to choke to death trying to edit EX3 footage?

Hello,

I've been out of hands-on production for quite some time and am now looking to get back into the game. I want to start working with a Sony EX3 and was wondering if I am going to be able to even work with the footage on my current system. Here are my system specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP21.00A5.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.14f5
Serial Number (system): W872101MW0M
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B631E7872
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I am running Final Cut Pro 6.06 and using OSX version 10.5.8

I am planning on updating the operating system and upgrading to the latest version of FC but will the hardware handle the file sizes? I noticed that final cut has a hard time playing back footage shot on a GoPro and was wondering if that was a fair indicator of what I could expect from EX3 footage.

Thank you for your help. Joe
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Is my computer going to choke to death trying to edit EX3 footage?

A few years ago I was editing EX3 projects in FCP 6 no problem on a slightly higher spec mid-2008 MBP, 15 inch in my case, and I still have it/still works well, albeit it is not my main editing machine now.

Note that I have always edited natively with XDCAM, never needing to convert to ProRes (but that may help you). Sure, FCP 6 is a bit clunky compared to my current NLE (Adobe) but it worked well enough at the time if you rendered the timeline as you worked along.

However, I have 4GB RAM in that MBP and I think the 2GB that you have in your MBP is cutting it MUCH too fine for any of the current NLEs. Others may be able to comment but I would get that upped to 4GB if possible. Even the old FCP 6 would benefit greatly from that boost, but cannot use more than about 3.5GB - if I remember correctly.

I believe FCPX will really struggle/choke on your spec MBP.... but again those that use it will have to comment.

For sure, you will want to put all your media on an external drive. I use G-Tech GRAID units via FW800 or eSATA and they work really well.
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Andy,

Thanks for the insight. I am planning on getting a new MBP eventually but I was hoping to be able to make a little cash with the old unit before buying a new computer. I'll look into upgrading the ram. Thanks again. Joe
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi Joe, as Andy says upgrade the ram to 4gb and you should be good to go, i have been using media composer on a similarly speced 15 inch for years with no probs however i did up grade to a newer model with quad core but had to upgrade to a newer version of media composer and dont notice a lot of difference. i know that you are on fcp and i do have fcp on my older mac which works fine but my day to day experience is with avid.
Des Carolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. After some research, I discovered that my model of MacBook Pro can only be upgraded to 3GB of Ram (MA611LL/A) I can't believe I bought this thing in the Fall of 2006! Anyhow. I learned that I can install a pair of 2 GB ram chips but the 32 bit architecture can only handle 3.3 GB. I'm going to do that as it is only about $60 and will plan on upgrading the computer sooner than later. Thanks again, Joe
Joe Holt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds