DC input failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Major Player

DC input failure

When it rains...sigh

OK, just got my EX3 back from Sony service on Friday after a nearly two week process where somehow they neglected to log in my returned PDF form approving the repair estimate (for 5 days). On the bright side, nice crisp focus after experiencing a loss of infinity focus!

On Monday, I'm halfway through a shoot with NYC production company when their audio guy takes the EX-3 in order to rig it up with a wireless receiver. For the first few hours, I'd been running an IDX brick plate connected to the DC input.

The tech brings the camera back out with a woeful look and says the IDX plate must have blown a fuse while he was rigging a D-tap connector, because now the plate is dead and the camera won't power up unless we use a Sony battery in the camera compartment. Fair enough, fuses blow sometimes, especially when one is connecting a D-tap with an unsheltered plug and it makes too much contact with the metal frame...which describes the D-tap the tech was using.

Rather than take it apart in the street with with only 20 minutes to go before the big event, we just ran on BP-U60 battery power. This morning, when I took the IDX plate apart to replace the fuse, I found a perfectly good looking fuse. When I plugged in the camera's charger/DC power supply, the camera remained dead--yet powered up easily with the Sony battery. So somethign is seriously whacked with the DC input.

I can't seem to find anything on the web about an internal breaker for the EX-3, and I'm struggling to figure out how the DC input got killed, but the camera remained able to power up. I tried calling Sony service to see if there was a user-enabled re set function, but got the opinion (as always) that the camera needed to go back to the service bench.

For this I waited on hold for 50 minutes, being constantly reminded I was "#1 in the queue."

Anybody else ever have this issue, and how was it resolved?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: DC input failure

Hi,

Saw this post. I have the same issue. Running the EX3 from a V-mount battery the camera suddenly stopped working. The input doesn't work anymore. Is your problem solved?

Peter
Peter Brinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Peter: I can no longer find the repair estimate with the exact diagnosis, but it ended up being a small electronic part between the input jack and the power board. It was a very inexpensive repair, but did require sending it in to Sony for service.

Hope that helps...

Bill
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Probably a surface mount fuse on the board .

Sony are fond of using these .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds