DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   loose EX3 Handle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/516450-loose-ex3-handle.html)

Brent Kaplan May 10th, 2013 12:59 PM

loose EX3 Handle

I noticed a lot of movement and play with my EX3 recently, any Idea how to fix this ???

Alister Chapman May 12th, 2013 03:35 AM

Re: loose EX3 Handle

Have a look for a crack on the side or just under the handle towards the front on the left side just under the zoom switch. Quite a common problem I'm afraid. Caused by many things like picking up the camera and tripod by the camera handle or carrying a loaded up camera with extra bit like base plates, external recorders etc attached. Can also occur if the camera bag you use is too tight as it puts a constant load through the LCD to the handle. Can be repaired, but a dealer job really.

Ronald Jackson May 12th, 2013 05:11 AM

So Alister can you recommend a soft case for a loaded EX3? Mine , a recent acquisition, generally has a 80-400 Nikkor in place with a rod support system and follow focus. Sometimes with a nanoFlash though normally wouldn't leave that in place.

Case needs to be available over here. Given your comments re handle weakening caused by heavy loads etc maybe the case should take the cam "sideways on" rather than upright.

Ron

Bryce Comer May 12th, 2013 01:27 PM

Sorry to take this thread off topic, but how do you find the 80-400 on the EX3 Ronald? I am using a 50-300 but would love just a little extra reach.
Thanks,
Bryce

Ronald Jackson May 13th, 2013 01:24 AM

Bryce, I'll start a new topic, "Latest Nikkor Lenses On EX3' or something like that. Short answer is "I'm not so sure".

Ron

Bryce Comer May 13th, 2013 12:15 PM

Thanks Ronald,
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Regards,
Bryce

Brent Kaplan May 13th, 2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1795121)
Have a look for a crack on the side or just under the handle towards the front on the left side just under the zoom switch. Quite a common problem I'm afraid. Caused by many things like picking up the camera and tripod by the camera handle or carrying a loaded up camera with extra bit like base plates, external recorders etc attached. Can also occur if the camera bag you use is too tight as it puts a constant load through the LCD to the handle. Can be repaired, but a dealer job really.

I closely examined my camera and could find no cracks, but can seem to figure out how to tighten it, i hate bringing it to sony at there rate.maybe time to upgrade but to what ?

Thanks

Steve Siegel May 16th, 2013 09:22 AM

Bryce,

I use the Nikon 80-400 (the old one, not the new one) all the time on the EX3, and find the quality
very good. It requires an adapter (Mike Tapa). Look here for examples. Everything but the wren was shot with it. Raven On The Mountain Channel 1 on Vimeo

Bryce Comer May 16th, 2013 09:45 PM

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the response. I am currently using a 50-300 Nikkor lens with my EX3 but it is super heavy & I would love just that little bit extra reach. I also have to make sure I keep my aperture between about F8 & F11 when I am shooting with any high contrast areas so as to avoid some pretty bad purple fringing.
So would you say that for the $800 odd dollars I could pick up an 80-400 for in excellent condition on Ebay, it would be worth it?
Thanks again,
Bryce

Brent Kaplan May 16th, 2013 11:08 PM

my handle is still loose

Bryce Comer May 17th, 2013 06:17 PM

Hi Brent,
Sorry I've taken this thread way of topic. Are the two screws at the front of the handle tight?
Bryce

Alister Chapman May 18th, 2013 02:30 AM

Also the plastic part under the handle can come loose. There are a couple of small screws in the top of the handle that can work loose.

If you can't see an obvious loose screw and your not prepared to remove the side covers yourself (potentially voiding any warranty) then really the only other option is to take it in to get it looked at. It might be a very simple case of tightening up a few screws.

Brent Kaplan May 24th, 2013 10:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply's it was as Allister said 2 loose screws under the front plate.

Thanks

John DuMontelle April 2nd, 2014 09:57 AM

I know...very old thread...but it's why I like DV Info.net.

Working with a big Colombian television network this week. Caracol. They brought up an EX3 as a second camera for reverse angles during sit-down interviews.

As you might imagine...the camera is totally beat to hell. Tons of paint worn off the camera body. Lots of "silver" showing.

I think this thing was in a war.

Still shoots well but...the handle was very loose.

Had some time to kill. Did a search here thinking there might be a possible solution. I was not disappointed.

Fixed the handle on their camera thanks to the great photos, plus the usual, reset the back-focus and cleaned it up a bit.

DV Info.net made me a hero with these clients.

Have to say "thanks". Wouldn't have happened without the great group here willing to share and help.

Steve Siegel April 3rd, 2014 01:00 PM

John,

You mentioned back focus in your post. I have read about back focus regarding various lenses, but have never actually seen one! Is there some kind of focus setting that covers this function on the EX3?
What exactly is it? I have never recognized any focus problem on any camera, or lens I have used and have never adjusted any kind of back focus. Thanks for the info, and nice to meet a local on DV Infonet.