Need Help! Updating PMW-200 FW v. 1.2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Need Help! Updating PMW-200 FW v. 1.2

To all;

Here's where I am:

BTW, I have searched every "Thread" on this 'Forum', searched and read numerous I-Net 'threads' having to do with "XDCAM FW Update".

PC Windows 7
Latest XDCAM Drivers Updated
U.S. v. of XDCAM PMW 200 FW 1.2
SxS-1A card, brand new and Formatted in-camera
SBAC-20 SxS card reader and USB cable
PMW-200 powered by BC-U1 AC Adapter

The "zip.file" is in my "Download" widow, after "un-zipping", I 'right click' on the 'SxS.bin' file and 'copy' to the 'SxS' card "General Folder". (BTW, I know what a "Root" is when discussing a "file tree", but nowhere in the SxS card 'file structure' do I see a 'Root file'.) I then 'safely' eject the SxS card and insert in into the 'PMW-200' SxS card slot. In the "Menu", I navigate to the "Others", scroll to "Version Up" and hit "Execute". Unfortunately, I keep getting "Version Upgrade No File". This has been going on all afternoon! I'm a little frustrated. I'm sure there is some small detail I'm missing.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

J.

Last edited by James Kuhn; June 29th, 2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: BTW,...
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Need Help! Updating PMW-200 FW v. 1.2

Jim,

"Root" simply means the very top directory of the card. In other words, don't put the file inside of any sub-directory. Just drop the file on the top level of the card and you will be good to go.
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Doug! Evidently, I don't "know" what "Root" means!

I'm pretty embarrassed. However, it's not the first time I've 'embarrassed' myself and I suspect it will not be the last.

The camera is now upgrading phase one. Oh well, it's been a long and frustrating day. It's times like this make me wish I still drank (Not really! Heh, heh!).

Thanks again for the help.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Vortex Media

No problem, Jim. We all have those moments where the answer to the problem is right in front of our face but somehow we miss it or think it must be more complicated than it really is. I hope the firmware update went well.
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Doug;

Yes, the v. 1.2 'download' went successfully after your 'KISS' recommendation. Thank you, so much, for taking pity on me! : )

I think the old "Forest for the trees" analogy is appropriate in this case. What's ironic, my first inclination was to proceed exactly as you described, but ran into that whole, "Root File" misunderstanding and talked myself out of it. Thinking, "It's got to be more complicated?" : )

I was also quite nervous about turning my nice new camera into a "Brick"! And, after reading literally hundreds of 'Threads' from various groups, turning my $6k + camera into an 'expensive paperweight', was a distinct possibility.

Add to this 4 or 5 hours of frustration, with attempt after attempt to download the update and having 'NOJOY', my patience (which there's not a lot of anyway), was absolutely gone!

Well, boys and girls, that's my 'story' and I'm sticking to it. : )

The adventure continues!

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds