Sony EX1 Power Supply Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 1st, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony EX1 Power Supply Issue

My Sony BC-U1 AC Adaptor/Charger is no longer providing AC power to the back of my camera. It IS still charging batteries. I figure the hard-wired cable connector is the issue.

A replacement unit is around $170. I rarely use the AC, but have a couple of upcoming gigs requiring it.

Is there a better replacement than the standard unit? Or a unit that just powers rather than charges?

I'm migrating shortly to a different camera, so am weighing the short term options.

TIA.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony EX1 Power Supply Issue

I've found that I can charge batteries quite well with the cheap chargers found on Ebay. Had good success with 3rd party batteries too.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Paul, thank you...

But my issue isn't batteries. It's the AC part of the supply that isn't working. It's charging just fine.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Have you checked the switch? That I suspect would be the most likely place where a failure occurs. It could be a pretty simple fix.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Major Player

If you do need to get a new unit, I'd recommend taking a look at the BC-U2. It can charge 2 batts simultaneously, or charge one while powering the camera. It also uses a separate (removable) cable to go from the charger to camera, I travel a lot, and carry both a BC-U1 and BC-U2 so I can charge 3 batts at the same time (of course I also use BP batts to power a field monitor, so I tend to go through more than I would with just the camera.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just saw an AC power supply for EX1 on ebay for about $29. Do a search for Sony PMW to find it. Looks like a low cost solution.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for that Michael,

I see a couple of them up there. Mine is working but a spare would help.

I think Mark and i were on the same job when his power supply went out if that's the same guy.

I loaned him my batteries for 3 days.

AC Adapter Charger for Sony EX3 EX1 PMW EX3 XDCAM EX Camcorder Power Supply Cord | eBay

AC Adapter Car Charger for Sony PMW EX1 PMW EX1R XDCAM SXS EX HD Pro Camcorder | eBay
Al Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds