MXF files to h264 mov - how? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 9th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Major Player

MXF files to h264 mov - how?

Shot on PMW-200, 1280x720 p 59.94 and client wants the raw footage as mov files and h264...how to convert from the raw MXF files?

I've tried Adobe Prelude but it's h264 preset is mp4, not mov...and it's Quicktime preset will only allow 720p 24, but it needs to be 59.94 same as raw...I also have the latest CONTENT Browser if that can help in any way...any thoughts? Need asap

Thanks
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: MXF files to h264 mov - how?

You can always convert to ProRes 422 instead. You retain the 4:2:2 color space by doing this. H.264 will give an inferior result.

Unless they're editing specifically requires H.264, you could try ProRes.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Kent,

I have been trialling the $ 35 Brorsoft Video Converter. It seems very versatile and it looks like solving some of my problems. I have seen both very good and very bad reports for it. If any one has any comments about it I would appreciate hearing them.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Alastair ~

Have a look at Pavtube HD Video Converter, available for both PC and Mac. Both can output H264.MOV from .MXF and can do batch conversions. If you use it just select 'original' under bitrate and framerate then select the audio bitrate, sample rate etc you want and away you go. The Mac version can also handle ProRes.

Pavtube HD Video Converter - Best HD Converter convert HD videos.

Pavtube HD video converter for Mac - Mac HD Converter for converting HD MTS/ M2TS/ MOV/ TOD/ MXF/ MOD etc.

When I've needed it I've never had any issues with it.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Major Player

If you have Prelude, you should have Media Encoder? Any and all options you need for Quicktime are readily available there.
Attached Thumbnails
MXF files to h264 mov - how?-untitled-1.jpg  
Old October 10th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Christopher,

The Pavtube and Brorsoft sound very similar - even the price is the same. I have not tried the Pavtube yet, and in the testing I have done with the Brorsoft it has always worked.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds