HDSDI Cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Major Player

HDSDI Cable

am shooting a wedding in a few weeks with my ex1r and need to get HDSDI cable to run from my camera to an HDVT in a different area of the church for the overflow to watch on.
How far can I safely go and quality is still good? and can you get the cable hdsdi for the camera and hdmi on the other end for the tv since it wont have hdsdi

any brand in particular and a good reputable place to buy it?
thx
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: HDSDI Cable

If you're monitoring just to show what the camera sees to overflow guests, using hdsdi is overkill, in my opinion. Most likely, their hdtv won't have hdsdi in. To convert to hdmi, you'd have to spend several hundred dollars for a hdsdi-hdmi converter. I think your best bet would be video out from the "d" connector and extend via bnc cable to the monitor.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi
You can go 100m with a cable like Canare L-4CFB and you need a converter from HD-SDI to HDMI.
With sound you can use a BlackMagic Battery Converter SDI to HDMI (300 dollar)
Without sound in the HDMI - a cheaper EverFocus EHA-CRX HD-SDI Repeater and HDMI Converter (160 dollar)
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Jim Stamos...I don't have an EX1R, so I'm not sure, but does it accept a BNC cable? If, it does have a 'SDI Out Port' I'd use it to feed a remote monitor. BNC, 75-Ohm cable and connectors are made for 'field use' and are more robust. I was always told, HDMI is "Living Room Technology" and really not appropriate for field use.

I hope this helps,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

How far is the overflow TV? If it's some distance away (over 25m) HD-SDI with a converter on the other end is the way to go.

If it's only 10m away, a long HDMI cable (preferably a high quality one) would work with the EX1R outputting HDMI. There isn't much effort required in that case.

You can try the Atmos one or the Blackmagic one. Those are good brands.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
To convert to hdmi, you'd have to spend several hundred dollars for a hdsdi-hdmi converter.
There are now converters for ~30-50$ to go from HD-SDI to HDMI and they work like a charm.. Including embedded audio..

There is no need for a Blackmagic converter or any other brand for such applications..
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #7
Major Player

fortunately I don't need audio its being piped through speakers outside to the courtyard where the tv will be, I would guess that the distance will be about 225ft give or take a few
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Then yes, you will have to go HD-SDI. The longest HDMI cables I've seen only go 100ft.

Monoprice has a converter for under $100. Might be good if you need it immediately, since I have no clue where to look up the $50 ones and how long the shipping on those would take.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander Vreuls View Post
There are now converters for ~30-50$ to go from HD-SDI to HDMI and they work like a charm.. Including embedded audio..

There is no need for a Blackmagic converter or any other brand for such applications..
Correct. I use this one:

I bought it on eBay for under $50

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #10
Major Player

me too. I also use a (computer) network cable (300m) RG58 - couldn't find theRG59 that long- with BNC connectors and then a $30 ebay SDI-hdmi box powered by a 5V stick used to charge a phone (also on ebay $7 or so). It works
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds