LED Interview lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 11th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Major Player

LED Interview lights

looking for a good pair of led lights for interviews other than litepanels. like all their other lights way overpriced.
would love to find some that have the 3200 built in, most don't.
thanks
jim
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: LED Interview lights

I've got one of these and like it quite a bit: F&V USA | K4000 LED Studio Panel

Daylight only version gives out double the light, but there is a bi-color available as well. About $400 each or $1100 for a set of 3.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

I'm using Dracast Pro Series LEDs that I purchased from Guy Cochrane at DVEStore based on his recommendation.

http://www.dvestore.com/dracast-led-500-video-light/

$495 for more LEDs with higher CRI (>93 instead of 85) than the F&V.

I like them. The light is excellent, the dimmer works fine other than the fact it FEELS like it binds but you don't generally adjust light output DURING a take...

The metal on the frame does seem somewhat flimsy to me but all-in-all a solid performer.

I own 1 x 500 and 1 x 1000 (spot). I'll likely sell the 1000 and buy two more 500s.
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have been using Cool Lights LEDs for pretty many years for a variety of jobs.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Shaun: Why are you considering the sale of your 1000 and relacing it with the two 500's. I am looking at both the Dracast and F&V's trying to decide which way to go. Is the 1000 equivalent to 1000 watts of tungsten? The 500's appear to be small in stature and I wondering how wbright hey actually get. This will be my first LED kit. Before seeing htis thread I actually stated another one in the photon section.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Major Player

I recently bought a couple of YONGNUO YN-600 panels. They're about $150 USD on Ebay and run off Sony F970 batteries (about 150 mins runtime off two 6600mah batteries).

I'm sure they're not the most colour accurate lights but I've been totally happy with the performance so far. They're more than bright enough for outdoor interview setups.

They come in a daylight balanced and 3200/5600k switchable model.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Major Player

After trying a variety of LED lights (many listed in this string) I have settled on the Westcott Skylux and love them. The color balance is spot-on 5600, with NO green cast. I have tested them compared to my Arrisun HMIs, and there is virtually no difference in color temperature. Westcott claims the Skylux is equivalent to a 1000w tungsten, but I kind of doubt that, however they are equal to my Arrisun 200 PAR HMIs w/ fresnel lens. Probably more like a 650w tungsten fresnel in actual output, but at 1/6 the power. These lights are more similar to a HMI type fixture than a LED panel like the Coollights or Litepanel. They can be used as a direct (but already diffuse) light source, or as I prefer, with a softbox and 1/4 stop diffuser scrim. VERY soft and complimentary light. You can also use a different reflector which accepts standard 7" honeycomb grids for even more control of the falloff. Barn doors and gels are also available. They are far, far more versatile than 'panel' light sources.
In addition to these, I am also extremely happy with my Westcott 'Ice Lights'. (google 'em) These are not very powerful, but Kino-quality light out of a small battery (or AC powered) 'wand'. VERY cool, VERY soft, and very, very complimentary and versatile. These lights are simply awesome.
So far, these are the best most versatile and most importantly color-accurate LEDs I have used to date. The only drawback is if you need 3200 you're kind of out of luck or have to gel. They are only available in 5600.
And no, I don't work for Westcott nor am I paid to endorse their products. I just am very impressed with what they have accomplished.

Last edited by Derek Reich; November 15th, 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: addition
Derek Reich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds