XDCAM EX into FCPX or Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Trustee

XDCAM EX into FCPX or Premiere?

It used to be everyone I worked with used FCP 6 or 7 but now they're into FCP X and Premiere and I don't know how to guide them to get my files into their system. This sometimes becomes my problem when I offer my camera so I am looking for help.

Currently I have a client who is using FCP X 10.4.

I gave her files from the F3 ( same as EX) and she has had trouble getting them into FCPX. I still use FCP 7 so I don't know a thing about X. I also gave her - Log and Transfer 2.2 and should have included XDCAM Transfer 2.1 but might have still had the old Sony XDCAM Clip Browser 2.6 on my disk instead

At any rate she had some problems but didn't consult me me and ended up buying a software/HD converter called pavtube which she said seems to have bad audio. I don't know what that program did but it sounded messy to me.

So what's the basic method for converting SxS cards for use in FCPX (10.4)? I saw some software on a Sony site but it require a later version of X - 10.6 or 8 or something.

If we simply converted the files to XDCAM MOV's using XDVCAM Browser or the newer Content Browser wouldn't FCP-X just import the files with no problem?

By the way what's the method for Premiere while we're at it?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: XDCAM EX into FCPX or Premiere?

In Premiere Right click in project window, choose import - one click on the folder and choose import folder.
Windows version.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Trustee

Bo, Will that work from the SxS card directly or do you need to have unwrapped them into quicktime files first?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

After looking into it, I abandoned going to FCP X. However, from what I could tell, Sony does now have an FCP X Import plugin for XDCAM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Premiere take the files as they are - you can import the BAPV folder directly from the SxS card or copy it to another place, like a media drive, and import from there. Premiere just look at the files so if you want to backup the files on the SxS card you have to copy the BAPV folder elsewhere.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

For FCP-X you need to use Content Browser and it's "Import to FCP" function.
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I am using Final Cut X 10.1.1 and Apple provides (as does Sony) a clean way to import XDCAM EX files into the library using the built in import function. I do copy the BPAV folder into a separate drive to have all original footage available if needed. It is simple and seamless. The updates came through about a week after Apple pushed out 10.1.1 in a background update. I wasn't aware of it until I noticed it in my list of past updates.
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds