MS Windows 8.1 Not Compatible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 8th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Major Player

MS Windows 8.1 Not Compatible?

Greetings, to all...I'm sure I'm coming late to the party, but after the past 8 days I've had, I thought I might save some poor soul the trouble I've been dealing with. First, let me say I'm not a S/W expert by any means, so your experience may differ.

I bought MS Windows 8.1, ostensibly to upgrade my 'security features' on my PC. I soon discovered I didn't like the interface at all. It reminded me of a 'Flea Market Hawker' trying to sell me new 'Apps'. BAD, Micro Soft! BTW, once Windows 8.1 is loaded onto your PC, you can't remove it! MS omitted the HDD Sector Removal Command from it's list of choices when trying to remove the S/W. It now resides in a 'Windows.old file in the background.

But, much worse, I discovered Windows 8.1 does not play well with Sony's "Content Browser", file management S/W. This was a big issue! After spending literally 20 hrs on-line with my IT service, convincing ourselves it was not compatible, I reloaded Windows 7 and all is well.

I don't know if this was an isolated incidence or what, but I thought I'd say something about it.

JMHO, YMMV.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: MS Windows 8.1 Not Compatible?

Sony is always behind on any software updates.
I am currently asking question that i asked last Nov, 2013, about are all Sony Mac OS x apps current and operate the sxs drivers properly?
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #3
Major Player

This issue cost me a job. I had a short turnaround job and couldn't download my video clips on either my PC or my Lap Top, both had Windows 8.1 loaded. The client was not happy and I lost money.

I will be more vigilant in the future.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I feel your pain.

Had a similar experience when I upgraded my Mac OSX thinking it was "better" even though everything was working fine...then discovered it totally screwed many of my existing programs.

After almost a week of "fixing" it back the way it was with a complete install of the pre existing OSX along with previously purchased programs. All is well...but I learned my lesson.

If it's not broken...I don't "fix it".
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Major Player

John, et al...I have always been a firm believer in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.", but I must have had a 'senior moment'. : )

This mistake really cost me, literally and figuratively.

One good thing came out of this debacle. After getting my 'bricked' Lap Top running again, I had to go to the Norton Customer Service phone desk. While speaking with the Technician he was about to download the latest version of Norton A-V then he said, "Let me do a quick scan." Of course I agreed.

The completed scan was an eye opener. The Tech explained I had 45 viruses and 12 missing registry files. And here's the biggy. I was 'Hacked'!

After installation of the fix, IPLog block. All things are safe and secure once again in my 'domain'.

JMHO, YMMV. : )

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds