PMW-200 or PMW-320 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 16th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #16
Space Hipster

Re: PMW-200 or PMW-320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
I see theres a PMW-300K1 and a PMW-300K2 whats the difference?
at a price of €8000 and €12000 I'll be holding on to my PMW 200 for a while yet.
I'm guessing the K2 has the 16x zoom lens, instead of the standard 14x zoom.

I am looking for a good deal on a slightly used 300, but I wouldn't complain about having a 200 by any means.
But I agree on the 300 being the better choice. It just looks more "professional," and my clients expect bigger cameras. I know, it's all perception, as the 200 and 300 have the same lens and imagers, but the clients call the shots. I also like XAVC, as I believe it will be the standard within a few years.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:57 AM   #17
Equal Opportunity Offender

The K2 lens may be 16x and not 14x zoom, but it doesn't have optical image stabilisation. That is a deal breaker unless you do tripod only work requiring the additional zoom capability.

FWIW, I'm about to order myself a PMW-300 K1.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Given a choice, with costs roughly the same, which used camera would you go for?

PMW-200 or PMW-320?
I went for the PMW320 - but that was a couple of years ago, when the equivalent competition was the EX1 and EX3. The big difference between then and now is the 50Mbs codec (to say nothing of XAVC). I haven't had any concerns at all with the 35Mbs codec - but it would be nice to know I had a camera that was "fully compliant", I won't pretend otherwise. It depends who your customers are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Murphy
I use a PMW320 when I am working for a local TV station. I am not fond of it. There are the obvious 4.2.0 reasons and cost of good glass and batteries. But I am also not happy with the viewfinder, the ergonomics, and find the reach under when on stick to get to the zoom a pain.
The ergonomics were exactly why I DID go for it! I am also surprised that you don't like the viewfinder. To the latter point, (zoom operation on tripod) then I know what you mean - but it was completely sorted for me quite cheaply with Libec | ZC-9Pro .
Quote:
If you are going wireless for audio then you really should go with the slide in receiver from Sony and I am not fond of that system either having "hit" issues often..
Again, I'm surprised. The slot-in receiver system I would give as a point in favour of the PMW320. No attaching receivers to brackets, no loose wiring, no powering issues. Just turn on the camera, select the radio receiver and that's it.
Quote:
The stock lens is less than impressive.
I thought it's fundamentally the same as on such as the EX3, and very similar in build etc to the PMW200? Again, it may not be up to the standard of a "normal" broadcast lens (no doubler, for one thing) but for the price I find it amazing. Better than I'd realistically hoped for.

I suppose the question would be that if I was buying now, would I still get the PMW320?

It's when you start to add accessories like camera lights, radio mic receivers etc, that I think the 320 shines, and using V-lock batteries then is a distinct advantage - everything is easily powered from the one battery, and they last a long time. It's heavier than such as a PMW200 - but I find I can handhold one for longer as all the weight is straight over the shoulder. It balances nicely, it's not front heavy.

That said, then I wish Sony would bring out a PMW320 with the codec options of the 300. Nowadays I'd look closely at the PMW300 as an alternative for that very reason. It's balance is still front heavy, but I believe it's possible to rear mount a V-lock battery to improve that, and solve powering issues for such as on camera lights?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi everyone,
Let me take the opportunity of this interesting thread to ask your opinion about this: I was offered €6500 for my PMW350L that have about 910hrs of operation and i'm tempted to accept the offer and get the pmw300k1 with same amount!!! what do guys think!? i don't really know how much does a used 350 sell for! i only know it's less than half the price i paid for a pmw350K version!!
I really like the idea of having the 300 even if i keep using the 350 but not as primary camera as now i have a PDW700
Thanks in advance
Sam
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:23 PM   #20
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer Aslan View Post
Hi everyone,
Let me take the opportunity of this interesting thread to ask your opinion about this: I was offered €6500 for my PMW350L that have about 910hrs of operation and i'm tempted to accept the offer and get the pmw300k1 with same amount!!! what do guys think!? i don't really know how much does a used 350 sell for! i only know it's less than half the price i paid for a pmw350K version!!
I really like the idea of having the 300 even if i keep using the 350 but not as primary camera as now i have a PDW700
Thanks in advance
Sam
Used PMW-350s are going for about $13,000 - 15,000 USD, from what I've seen, assuming the camera includes the stock lens and viewfinder. I think you can get a lot more for it. If you're in no hurry, shop it around.
Old March 21st, 2014, 11:30 PM   #21
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
The K2 lens may be 16x and not 14x zoom, but it doesn't have optical image stabilisation. That is a deal breaker unless you do tripod only work requiring the additional zoom capability.

FWIW, I'm about to order myself a PMW-300 K1.

Andrew
Optical image stabilization is a nice feature to have, but by no means is it a deal breaker for me. I spent the first 20 years of my professional career shoulder mounting 2/3" cameras, with me being the only support the camera had. I almost always use tripods anyway, but when you gotta shoulder mount, you work with what you have. Personally, I would gladly sacrifice image stabilization for better zoom range.

I don't know how comfortable the PMW-300 is for shoulder mounting, but it's doubtless not the best. But I'd still prefer the 16x zoom lens.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 01:29 AM   #22
Regular Crew

With the stock lens of PMW-300 with its steady shot feature, it's OK to hold it onto shoulder, but for a 3rd party lens like Fujinon the picture would be trembling due to its imbalanced weight. That however, if you want to shoot using a low angle by holding it into your hand then any lens would be OK. Dynamic style like shooting over shoulder while running would also be fine. If you always have good tripods or cranes, then well... anything is good.
The only bummers I currently have would be that it doesn't have a colour temperature knob, and the chromatic aberration of the Fujinon lens. the former may be solvable using the iPad remote control and for the latter... I have to use the stock lens or get a new lens with silly money... if I have it. Most of latest *new* fujinon lenses do support it, but yeah, it must be new, nothing like that can be found in the used market.
Meng Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 02:01 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Used PMW-350s are going for about $13,000 - 15,000 USD, from what I've seen, assuming the camera includes the stock lens and viewfinder. I think you can get a lot more for it. If you're in no hurry, shop it around.
the price offered is for body and viewfinder only,no lens included in the price but indeed as you said it is too low even if i'm tempted by the pmw300 :))
good luck with your choice..
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:20 AM   #24
Major Player

David,
Just getting around to responding to your experience. I prefer the 350 and I guess if I were going to buy a 320 now I would buy a used 350. I love the viewfinder in the 300 and agree that it is not as ergonomic as it should be but it weighs next to nothing compared to the 22 pounds of the 320. As for the audio hits issue, guess it depends where you are located but that is my experience. The lens is the lens.....in many ENG situations it just lacks. But it is certainly a robust camera and when you set it up nicely and get used to it you can get good images. I totally agree if they had built a 320 with the 300 features and viewfinder it would be a natural choice for many TV outlets who are concerned about cameras that go from one op to another.
Cheers
Brian
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:02 AM   #25
Equal Opportunity Offender

Brian,

I don't have any experience with the big ENG cameras. Will be upgrading to the PMW-300 from a Sony V1 HDV camera.

How is the lens not up to scratch compared to bigger and more expensive models? I'm keen to have your thoughts if they are able to be explained in writing.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM   #26
Space Hipster

The PMW-350 will command a higher price.
To be honest, I think the asking price for that PDW-350 is way more than what the camera is worth. It's still a 35mbps, 4:2:0 XDCAM. It's been replaced by the far more capable PDW-700/F800.
You can find cheaper PDW-350s on Ebay, if you really want one.

To be clear, that's my opinion on the asking price. The seller and a potential buyer may disagree.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:51 PM   #27
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer Aslan View Post
the price offered is for body and viewfinder only,no lens included in the price but indeed as you said it is too low even if i'm tempted by the pmw300 :))
good luck with your choice..
If you don't include the lens, that changes the value. I don't know what the value is without the lens. Several thousands less, for sure.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 12:00 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Just curious where you saw a used PMW-350 for about $13,000 - $15,000? What's a good place to buy / sell cameras like that nowadays? Thanks.
Robert McGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 01:49 PM   #29
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert McGowan View Post
Just curious where you saw a used PMW-350 for about $13,000 - $15,000? What's a good place to buy / sell cameras like that nowadays? Thanks.
Ebay has a few, or did. Keep looking, they occasionally come up.
Omega Broadcast, a site sponsor, has some deals. B&H does as well, but you have to keep checking their site until one shows up.
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Thanks Glen. What are some good sites / locations to sell cameras (other than Ebay)?
Robert McGowan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds