PXW X180 Playback pausing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 10th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #1
New Boot

PXW X180 Playback pausing

Hi all,

Another question for the x180 users out there.

Noticed when playing clips back from the card out via the SDI or HDMI the play back pauses as it goes from clip to clip.

Now the field of work I am in this is an issue. We have a media ingest desk putting this stream to disk and it really needs to be a continuous file. Like the other XDCAM's and my old NX5 did.

Has anyone encountered this?
Dean Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: PXW X180 Playback pausing

I don't need to deal with that within my workflow so I haven't played with different options, but...
Obviously this gives you a whole different sense of 'clips' - but have you tried the Clip Continuous Record mode? When we shoot for Entertainment Tonight they want everything recorded that way to minimize the number of clips. (Not sure if this is an option with all recording formats... I know it can be selected when in AVC-I, but not sure if it is currently an option in HD420)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Dave, will give that a try and see what it does.

However, would that then create one continuous clip on the cards?

Will have a play.
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes, the idea of Clip Continuous is to create a single clip.
(Of course if you power down the camera then it will create a new clip next time you start recording)

Is the time code break the issue with multiple clips during playback? Seems like the camera playback pauses (freezes) for just over a second before it continues with the next clip when multiple clips are played.

As I mentioned, my workflow doesn't require this so I'm not sure what the issues are.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Asher View Post
Has anyone encountered this?
It also happens on the PXW-X70 in both AVCHD and XAVC modes. Odd because I haven't seen this behavior on any earlier card based Sony cameras. Normally you could just start playing the first clip and all subsequent clips would play out without that momentary pause at the start of the following clip. What makes it more curious is if I put an X70 card with AVCHD clips on it into a pure AVCHD camera there is no pause at clip change point. Go figure.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:37 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Chris,

Good to see it's not just me. Really trying to find a solution to this.

Hopefully sony come up with a fix.
Old March 12th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #7
Trustee

I have found that on playback if you listen to the song "Freeze Frame!", it makes it seem more acceptable. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds