PMW 300 heats up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 21st, 2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

PMW 300 heats up

My PMW-300 heats up after about 10 minutes of use. I know that some heating is normal, my EX3 did it too. There is no effect whatsoever on the functioning of the camera, but when the body is about the same temperature as a fresh cup of coffee, and hot to the touch, I wonder if that is excessive. It is always most noticeable when filming in the sun. Do others find the same behavior?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: PMW 300 heats up

Black will absorb the heat from the sunlight. Same as a black car on a hot day, compared to a white car.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Andrew,

Yes you are correct, but I am amazed at how much heat seems to be soaked up from the sun. Knowing this I wonder why the manufacturers don't go back to the pale gray bodies that Canon still uses on it's lenses, and that their old mini DV tape camcorders had?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

Cameras are black (and we wear black clothes at times) because it gives the least chance of reflecting off any of the subject matter we are shooting ... and revealing the presence of the photog or his gear.

It's also very slimming. :-P

I've had other cameras (and silver/grey metallic panelled tape decks) heat up in the sun at outdoor events. The easy solution is to drape a cloth over the top of them.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 11:33 PM   #5
Trustee

I once kept a Hi8 Sony HandyCam on my dash as a full time dash cam. One hot day I came out to find the black top hatch/button row and pop out tape door warped. The silver body of the camera was unaffected, but then it was much thicker as well. :-)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Trustee

Steve - what I find to be a very handy tool to have around is a laser thermometer. Harbor Freight has one on sale until April 30 for $35.99.

"Non-contact infrared thermometer with laser targeting, Centech brand (house brand?). Lot 60725
I have a different make and one has to use a correction factor for various surfaces with it.

One way to calibrate it with a correction factor would be to leave the cam in an environment where the temperature didn't change much for several hours, like maybe overnight, then take it's temperature and compare that with the ambient temperature.

Another suggestion, maybe a little umbrella would help for the outdoor shoots. Would help with viewing the viewfinders too.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds