soft picture and blown out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 27th, 2016, 06:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

soft picture and blown out

done a few indoor concerts for friends Gigs etc
bright lights and dim venue

first of all the picture is not very sharp
and when say a red light was spotted on the singer was blown out to a red blob.

bear in mind i used a xa20 last year no problems same venue and lighting

something in paint i think but looks a bit complex

been asking on many forums but no replies
Terry Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: soft picture and blown out

You're not specific about camera or settings...
However,
one problem that's become fairly serious in live venue shooting is that many of the older (tungsten) lighting units are being replaced by LED units - and many of these feature an exceptionally low CRI (color rendering index) -- and a lot of frequencies that the cameras don't like -- meaning that they produce a soft image. I was working on a music documentary recently for which we were shooting in a lot of small clubs. The gaffer would look at the lights and sometimes say 'oh yeah, that one has a CRI of 35...' (for normal shooting I expect a CRI of at least 93 out of 100). So.. we would aim those lights down onto the audience and light the band with Arri 300's (tungsten lights.)
In general I seem to have the most trouble with the deep blue LEDs, but also find the pink ones make for a soft image.
Someone on another thread suggested that they got the best results turning their picture profiles off in the cameras, but I haven't been able to test this hypothesis (and I normally like the roll off I get from the hypergammas.)
So next time you're shooting a band, do a test during their sound check and adjust things as necessary. Often I've found that in uncontrolled situations I can add a couple of diva200's as footlights along the front edge of the stage, and this smooths things out a bit and sometimes takes the curse out of the LEDs.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

very interesting as reds blues are really blown out don't think its led just very over saturated
so bad now 3 venues rejected the footage no matter what i do always the same

Last edited by Terry Dennis; January 27th, 2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Private example.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

When I still had my Sony's I found that any backlit situation (brides always seem to want to get married with water/sky or a sunset behind them) resulted in very soft footage! I have no idea why ..it was almost as if I was out of focus even though at one I went to the trouble of using a tape measure to make sure I was perfectly in focus. I think was happens too is that with tiny apertures the image starts to degrade quite badly so maybe that's what I was seeing ??? Try a shot with the lights behind you in the same venue and compare the clips and see if it's the lights giving you the issue???

I would be interested to know the results !!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 11:29 PM   #6
Trustee

I shoot a lot of ENG with RED LED police and fire emergency flashing lights, and the intensity at that wavelength does nasty things to the images! My JVC ProHD cameras cannot be focussed in these lighting conditions, even if I iris down, and pretty shots like faces being flashed by emergency lights become impossible. Sony is much better, but still hard to stay sharp. Try turning the SATURATION down all the way next time, just to test if the actual red wavelength on the sensor is the problem, and not an overabundance of that color. If it is still very soft, then there is nothing you can do, as that wavelength of light is all your sensor has to play with, and I believe GREEN is the primary for most luma resolution?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

all sorted now i think
Old February 5th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Can you please share with us what settings sorted out your problem?
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

yes as I had so many little answers found this website and played for 3 days solid where i went wrong was quite often its actually minus to sharpen
Camera Setup | XDCAM-USER.COM
sold it now anyway shame i ruined 3 shoots with bad settings
now its sharp without the colours blown out
Terry Dennis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds