4K Video Shooting and the PXW-Z150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 26th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Major Player

4K Video Shooting and the PXW-Z150

Just curious if anyone is providing 4K to your clients and what sort of work you are doing? Corporate? Event? Weddings?

The other thing is, what is the standard for FPS for 4K? 30? 60?

The PXW has 4K 30fps but I am wondering if I should wait until more 60fps come out.

I don't actually need 4K yet, but I am starting to prepare. I shoot mostly events with a broadcast camera like that one, and shoot all my corporate work with DSLRs.

Thanks!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 4K Video Shooting and the PXW-Z150

Not sure about the existence of a "standard". I shoot mostly 30p (web-bound content), or if I know it's going to BluRay, I'll go 24p. I only go 60p if I have a reason to; like if I think I might want to apply some slow motion effect. Shooting everything in 60p will mean I need to keep the shutter at 1/120th or faster, which cuts back on the light-gathering and could lead to an increase in grain if I need to gain up

What I have not done is test whether 60p footage, converted to 30p, looks any better than footage shot at 30p. I don't see how it could, doesn't the NLE just throw out every other frame? Not sure.

Over the years, I've had some projects with every possible frame rate my cams would do and it was an added hassle just doing all the testing to see which project settings and which rendering settings produced the best quality final product. Currently, I aim to set my camera frame rate to what I expect to deliver in, with a few exceptions.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

4K broadcast is currently 4K 60p. NASA is the only public broadcaster in North America currently broadcasting 4K 60p 24/7 via publicly available satellite feeds.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Major Player

So will 4K 30fps become obsolete soon?

Thanks!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

There is no standard for corporate, event and weddings, it all depends on your client requirements, when a wedding client asks for a 4K 50p film because they have a tv that supports it then that will be the standard for that particular client while others may requests a delivery on dvd only.

If I would have a camera that could do 4k 50P I would always shoot in that mode, in that way I can edit in a 25p HD timeline and choose whatever clip I want to slow down 50% which mainly is for the trailers I make for the weddings I shoot and I can crop into the image when I need to. I don't have any loss in light-gathering as I would shoot with a 1/50th shutter all the time, to be honest, I don't see any difference in shooting 1/100 or 1/50 and eventhough technically I should use 1/100 if I don't see the difference, then why limit myself.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I shoot 60P on most of my cameras including UHD on the FDR-AX1 and all are 1/60 shutter to get the most light in the theatre. Shutter speed relates to image blur so 1/60 at any frame rate has the same image blur. If you shoot 60P at 1/60 it will be the same blur as 30P at 1/60. If you edit that 60P video on a 30P time line it will be the same as if you shot at 30P. That is the advantage of shooting at 60P. You have the option of finishing at 60P and getting smooth motion for 60i or 60P output and have the option of 30P for a more juddering look of film. Faster shutter speeds will give of course less image blur and sharper images on each frame. Depends on the subject matter and location.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
4K broadcast is currently 4K 60p. NASA is the only public broadcaster in North America currently broadcasting 4K 60p 24/7 via publicly available satellite feeds.
In Canada, Sportsnet broadcasts two channel of 2160P60 on Rogers Cable. The programming schedule is the same as two of their existing HD channels with MLB, NHL and NBA games from Toronto venues in true 4K. The balance of the schedule is normally upconverted. They have carried some 4K programming from Europe.

TSN has two channels on cable that show a graphic except when live 4K games are being played. TSN did CFL games from Toronto including the Grey Cup, as well as NBA and NHL in 4K.

There have been a few occasions this year when 2 live 4K games were available at the same time.
Roger Keay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds