Viewer Screen of Sony PXW-Z150 v.s. Panasonic HC-x1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 11th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Viewer Screen of Sony PXW-Z150 v.s. Panasonic HC-x1

Hi. Could anyone there comment about the quality of the viewing screens on each of these cameras.

I have a Panasonic GH4 and love many things about the camera but I find its viewing screen virtually unusable in daylight conditions. I know screens can be made that are not so impossibly reflective. For example my old Canon XH-A1 HDV camera has a viewer that is amazing in sunny conditions, no reflection to mention. (I've thought that maybe it's the touch-screen nature of the GH4's screen that is the cause of its problem.) I've also read that the viewing screen on the larger "red" Panasonic AG-DVX200 full-sized 4K video camera that has the same 4/3 sensor as the GH4 and 5 has the same problem with reflectivity.

So is that a problem with the HC-X1? Does the Sony PXW-Z150 deal with daytime light reflectivity any better? Is there a different 4K full-sized video camera that has solved this poroblem? I know there is always the option of the eye-piece viewer but I much prefer composing shots on a viewer screen.

Thanks.

John
John Whiteway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 08:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Viewer Screen of Sony PXW-Z150 v.s. Panasonic HC-x1

Personally I've never found a camera where I thought the viewing screen was great in bright sunlight (except for ones where the screen has a viewfinder over it like the EX3 or PMW300).

However...
The first thing I noticed when working with the PXW-Z150 was that I actually liked the small viewfinder! It was the first time I had used one that I thought was sharp and clear enough to actually work well with. I was shooting on the beach on a bright sunny day, and was very happy using the little VF - something I've never said about my EX1, PMW200 or F3.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds