Attaching something heavy z90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 4th, 2019, 10:01 PM   #1
New Boot

Attaching something heavy z90

So, I bought a 3.5lbs Light (w/ batteries) with the intent of mounting it to a Z90. I was told that not a good idea because of how heavy it is, which got me thinking. What are your experieces with attaching things that are heavy to the shoes of your device.

I thought to myself ok, maybe I'll get some sort of rig to set it up and so to not mount it directly. However this is the closest thing to what I want. ENG STYLE CAMCORDER BUNDLE RIG - ENG STYLE Camera Supports (ENG STYLE CAMCORDER BUNDLE RIG) Its shoulder mounted and looks like it could fit the accessories I want. However this is quite expensive at the moment.

I thought maybe buying the HANDLE separate and then using on of NEEWERS shoulder rigs

https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Camcorder-Double-hand-Handgrip-Camcorders/dp/B00GTLZ6SU//din02c-20

with

PAPARAZZI I ROD BLOC - Camera Handle Grip Catalog

I saw that Neewer may have some sort of rigs similar to it and maybe I could assemble something with www.smallrig.com. What are your thoughts about how I could have my goal of having a rig that I could attach that light to and still have a shoulder mount.

Right now I have a HOVERFLY LIGHTWEIGHT SHOULDER RIG that I thought would be good, and it might be, but with out that big light

I also had suggestions about using iKan MB4. I have access to a Genaray LED 7100. Any other lights reccomended around the same design and style?
Fabian Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Attaching something heavy z90

i would have thought the whole point of the z90 IS IT'S compactness and simplicity?

i'm probably too old school, but i can't see the point of the two handled camera rigs when using a camera with flexible options, eg, focus, aperture, zoom, unless you have a remote connected to one of the handles.

of course, it depends on what you need, but i've found with all my assorted cameras over the years that they'd all happily carry the weight of any number of lights, from the old sun guns, thru to my present led's. if more light that that is required for the shoot, then you're probably better off rethinking the whole thing.

as for all the cheese frames, rails and stuff available nowadays, i get the distinct feeling that a lot of it is along the lines of pimping ones ride :-)

have a great new year
Old January 5th, 2019, 01:12 AM   #3
New Boot

All valid points you have risen but, its the situation im stuck with at the moment
Old January 5th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Trustee

Fabian - The screws that hold the hot shoe are little tiny things with a thread diameter probably no larger than a pinhead. If one is really, REALLY, careful, one can probably get by wit doing it but one good bump or quick movement of the cam with the mounted object may be a bit much for the screws. Even with being careful, over time, fatigue of the screws can cause them to become slightly loose and exacerbate failure.

Solution options can be to go with a smaller and lighter weight light that won't stress the shoe so much, or, for the heavier light, use a tripod mounted accessory holder like those you've already searched for.

Another bracket resource, and there are lots of them, is Stroboframe Stroboframe Camera Flash Brackets Wedding Photography | Tiffen and there are a number of models. I have the Pro-RL that I used to support a very large Rycote windshield with a windjammer for a shotgun mic. Needed something to keep the windjammer hairs out of frame.

For my heavy light, nothing nearly as heavy as yours, I'm using an old flash bracket that also attaches to the tripod cam mount.

Personally, editorial comment here, I really hate using a light on the cam, "but as they say, your situation may vary".
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 06:58 PM   #5
Trustee

sorry, didn't mean to sound critical...

i would probably stick with a simple 'flash' style bracket - connecting to the camera base will certainly be much more rugged if not inconvenient regarding balance.
Old January 6th, 2019, 12:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

We have mounted some pretty heavy stuff (including additional cameras) to a hotshoe, but everything was static. I agree with the above comments about possibly weakening your mount to the point of failure.
A smaller light is an option unless you wanted to go with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Headlamps-Headlights-Waterproof-Adjustable/dp/B07KLVV4Y9/din02c-20

Nothing like 10,000 lumens directly into your subject's eyes...

Seriously though, there are lots of new, more efficient lighting options becoming available so hopefully you can find something that will suit you purpose.
Andrew Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Major Player

I've used the wrap around mount on my FDR-AX100 to support heavy accessories. The camera gets top-heavy, but it's a good solution when you want to keep the overall bulk down. I have the Z90 sitting here and it looks like the mount would work with it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1197471-REG/dm_accessories_wamx00_wrap_around_mount.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching something heavy z90-ax100-surround-mic.jpg  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 06:42 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Looks like a handy bracket for the certain cameras, but how is it going to work with the Z90's handle?

Last edited by Doug Jensen; January 8th, 2019 at 11:36 AM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 08:57 PM   #9
Major Player

It wraps around the lens barrel forward of the handle. I just put it on and it will fit. I don't see any place it would interfere with how I hold or operate the camera. Enough of the focus ring is available on the left side for me to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching something heavy z90-z90-cold-shoe-bracket-1.jpg   Attaching something heavy z90-z90-cold-shoe-bracket-2.jpg  

Attaching something heavy z90-z90-cold-shoe-bracket-3.jpg   Attaching something heavy z90-z90-cold-shoe-bracket-4.jpg  

Attaching something heavy z90-z90-cold-shoe-bracket-5.jpg   Attaching something heavy z90-z90-cold-shoe-bracket-6.jpg  

Old January 8th, 2019, 09:15 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Am I missing something? There is no way in hell that bracket can be used with a Z90 unless you take the handle off, and then you have basically ruined the camera if you care about audio. You must be talking about the grip instead of the handle, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching something heavy z90-z90.jpg  
Old January 8th, 2019, 10:03 PM   #11
Major Player

Yes, I meant the grip. I've been using an external recorder for audio.
Old January 9th, 2019, 03:33 AM   #12
Trustee

maybe not that particular model, but there's literally hundreds of brackets out there, here's just a couple:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

and that's without looking seriously.
Old January 9th, 2019, 05:31 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Yes, I already have one of those flash brackets for my SLRs and they work very well with those cameras for shooting stills. But I really can't see how that style of bracket would work on a tiny video camera like the Z90. Whatever LED light you're going to put on it had better be very, very light or you'll be moving the center of mass so high above the camera that steady hand-held shooting is going to be virtually impossible. Especially when you've got to take a hand off to change the the focus, the exposure, or press some other button. Also, you better be sure the bracket you buy allows you to put a tripod quick release plate on the bottom of it because you don't want to have to disassemble the whole rig to go back and forth between handheld and tripod.

Just because you COULD mount a particular bracket, doesn't mean it is actually going to work in real-world shooting. I'd love to see someone post some nice handheld run & gun footage shot with one of those SLR flash brackets with a light on it. I think it will be a long wait.

Personally, I just use a Manfrotto Croma2 mounted directly to the hot shoe on all my cameras, including the tiny Z90. It is lightweight, powerful, creates a nice beam of light, it's bi-color, has high CRI, powers from AA batteries, and keeps the center of gravity nice an low. A very simple solution.
Old January 9th, 2019, 06:56 PM   #14
New Boot

So I think I found a solution. Well its the form I want. Its a shoulder rig where I can mount a LIGHT above.
Althought this shows a AX700, the same scenario plays out.

So I bought a CLAMP COLD SHOE to attach to the top rail. But unfortunately, the leverage causes the light to tilt. I realize there is a 3/8 inch hole in that C clamp and I know that maybe I can install a cold shoe mount maybe somewhere. But I tried looking and im not sure it even exists

Or is there a mount that I can attach my light to that I can screw in instead of using a cold shoe. Like a screw in from the bottom

https://imgur.com/a/fJK4AHG

P.S. I tried looking EVERYWHERE for the attachment button and I don't see it. I looked at the forum rules to see how and I'm not in QUICK reply or anything. I dont' see any sort of tool box thing Im' used to seeing at other forums
Old January 9th, 2019, 07:12 PM   #15
New Boot

So, I realize that Manfrotto sells its Manfrotto 492 but without the cold shoe, and it looks like I can attach a 3/8" to the bottom. So I'm thinkin just get a 3/8th screww with the right TPI, maybe from home depot and get that swivel head and attach it to the C bracket. and then mount my light on it.

What do you think about that? Maybe I dont have to get manfrotto 492, any other swivel heads you reccomend?
Fabian Charlton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds