PMW-150 output to HDMI AND composite? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 15th, 2021, 02:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PMW-150 output to HDMI AND composite?

Hi, I have a new old Sony PMW-150 - I got for the cache and review function. I am trying to get two outputs simultaneously via HD HDMI (to webstream )and SD composite via the AV output. (to an old school jumbo screen) The manual is not the clearest. Does anyone know the correct combination of "System" and "Video set" menus to keep the HD as best quality that it can do simultaneously?

It appears that the maximum HD format permitted is SP 1440x1080. Then the format option are -

When using FAT HD Mode (SP)
HD SDI & HD HDMI
SD SDI & SD HDMI i
HD HDMI & HDV
SD HDMI i & HDV
SD HDMI P & HDV
SD HDMI i & DVCAM

The manual suggests 3 options -

VIDEO OUT connector (BNC type)By changing the setting of "SDI/HDMI/i.LINK I/O Select" (page 83) in the VIDEO SET menu,you can output HD-Y signals in HD Mode ordown-converted SD analog composite signals formonitoring in SD Mode.Use a commercially available BNC cable forconnection.

i.LINK (HDV/DV) connector (IEEE1394, 4-pin)Input/output of an HDV or DVCAM stream canbe enabled by changing "SDI/HDMI/i.LINK I/OSelect" (page 83) in the VIDEO SET menu.To set the input, select "i.LINK" in "Input SourceSelect" (page 83) in the VIDEO SET menu.A monitor or VTR that supports i.LINK can beconnected.

A/V OUT connector (audio/videocomposite multiconnector)By changing the setting of "SDI/HDMI/i.LINK I/O Select" (page 83) in the VIDEO SET menu,you can output 2-channel audio and down-converted SD analog composite signals formonitoring.Use the supplied AV connection cable forconnection.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...age=110#manual

The AV multi cable, and the BNC Genlock/Video Out outputs squeezed 4:3 SD signals But in either mode the best HDMI is SD - a real compromise. It appears there is no way HD is output when a downconvert is also processed on the analogue. I may have to resort to abandoning the composite out and use a separate box to split HDMI and downconvert HDMI to composite.

Update:
As I have discovered, it is impossible to get SD composite and HD HDMI at the same time.

Last edited by Paul Osborne; September 16th, 2021 at 04:42 AM.
Paul Osborne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds