Sony EX1 and Final Cut Pro 5 Compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 24th, 2022, 02:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony EX1 and Final Cut Pro 5 Compatibility

Hi, folks!

I have a friend I'm trying to help out in buying a new camera for his projects. He is currently using a couple of old Sony HVR-HD1000 camcorders. They are HDV format and shoot to tape. He has a VERY LOW budget, so my early recommendations to him for the Z150, FS5 (which I use) or similar are way out of his comfort zone. He does need to be able to feed audio to the camera, so the low cost consumer 4K camcorders are also out. We're currently thinking of trying to upgrade incrementally by buying a used EX1. That at least gets him full HD, with a better picture, more on-board control and the use of SD cards instead of tape.

He uses Final Cut Pro 5. My biggest concern is whether he will be able to easily import files created by the EX1 into Final Cut. From what I've read, the EX1 creates mp4 files, right? I have read about Content Browser as a way to convert files. Is that necessary for importing into FC5?

I appreciate any info about using the EX1 and Final Cut together. I would also appreciate any other recommendations for cameras in the very low budget category (under $1000).

THANKS!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2022, 08:22 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Sony EX1 and Final Cut Pro 5 Compatibility

Final Cut Pro 5 is some really ancient software, I assume his Mac and version of MacOS is also ancient. I got my EX1 in about 2010 IIRC and used it with Final Cut Pro 6.x. These are all "legacy" versions of Final Cut Pro that were completely discontinued long ago when Apple introduced Final Cut Pro X which is a completely different program.

I upgraded to Final Cut Pro X around 2015(?) and gave up on the legacy version. It still ran under MacOS Mountain Lion but it was slow and crash-prone. I believe that some people continued using it up until MacOS High Sierra but it couldn't have been a very good experience. All these old versions of MacOS are no longer supported by Apple and could be a security risk if you use them for things like web browsing and e-mail.

Anyway, I don't shoot much video anymore but still like my EX-1 and use it for fun projects. Just can't justify the expense of upgrading to a new camera for my kind of minimal usage. It's a great camera but does have some quirks. You will need the proprietary SxS memory cards which could be a cost factor. There are adapters to use SD cards however that feature requires a newer version of the EX-1 firmware (which my camera doesn't have). So, if you are buying used it could be hit or miss as to whether the firmware will allow this. Personally, I would not attempt a firmware upgrade on my EX-1, too many stories about bricked cameras from this process. Bottom line - don't just assume that any EX-1 can use SD cards.

Also consider the cost of batteries, they will not be cheap and you'll need the big ones if you want to shoot videos of any length.

You can shoot HDV on the EX-1 and output firewire, although I have never done this. Honestly, I'm not sure about the mp4 files part, that doesn't sound right to me, IIRC the files on the cards are some kind of proprietary format but I never paid much attention to that and just imported them into Final Cut Pro.

Since I just don't know what Final Cut Pro 5 is, I can't say whether the EX-1 would be compatible. But, if it were me, I'd be looking at upgrading my software (and computer) to something that can run Final Cut Pro X or another modern program. If that isn't practical, maybe it's best to just continue with what they currently have instead of sinking more money into old gear. But - worst case - if you get the EX-1, you can always use it as an HDV camera if you can't get the newer files to work.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2022, 10:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For a similar price you could get a modern camcorder that would be far easier to deal with in every respect. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20384658623...MAAOSwVbliHC78
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2022, 03:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Boyd - thanks for all the good info. I realize he's working with ancient stuff but he really doesn't want to put any more money into his editing system, believe me I've tried to convince him!

Pete - I agree completely on buying a newer camcorder. That JVC looks like a good option but of course would never work with his old edit system (see comment above to Boyd).

Thanks guys for the responses, I appreciate it!
Old March 1st, 2022, 12:37 AM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

Stepping away from the technical side, would it be worth it to simply tell him that his budget is completely not viable and to perhaps revisit in a years time when this budget issue has potentially improved?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2022, 01:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Sounds like he is stuck on using FCP 5. It be better to use FCPX instead it will run on even older macs and then that would open up his camera choices. I'm guessing this is a case of being scared of learning new software and camera.
Old March 1st, 2022, 01:18 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I'm guessing this is a case of being scared of learning new software and camera.
Yes. He is retired, only does a few personal projects and does not want to spend much on upgrading. FCP-X is also a whole different animal from the FCP he's used to.

THANKS!
Old March 10th, 2022, 06:29 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
It be better to use FCPX instead it will run on even older macs and then that would open up his camera choices.
If he's still running FCP 5 then that means he must be on a very old version of MacOS (perhaps something like Lion or older, but not newer than High Sierra). Although there were versions of FCPX that ran on these old systems, there would be no way to get them today. If you had purchased it back when it was available then you *might* be able to download it again, but it wouldn't be available to a new user.

Anyway, as has been discussed, it's a completely different program and any experience with the legacy version is really of no help at all. It can't even import your legacy FCP projects.

Based on what's been said, I think the only path is to continue with FCP 5 and his HDV cameras until he's ready to make the switch to a new computer and learn some new software.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2022, 02:46 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
If he's still running FCP 5 then that means he must be on a very old version of MacOS (perhaps something like Lion or older, but not newer than High Sierra). Although there were versions of FCPX that ran on these old systems, there would be no way to get them today. If you had purchased it back when it was available then you *might* be able to download it again, but it wouldn't be available to a new user.

Anyway, as has been discussed, it's a completely different program and any experience with the legacy version is really of no help at all. It can't even import your legacy FCP projects.

Based on what's been said, I think the only path is to continue with FCP 5 and his HDV cameras until he's ready to make the switch to a new computer and learn some new software.
I have a 2009 Mac Pro, it has FCP6 and FCPX installed running Yosemite. I believe the App Store will allow you only to install the version of FCPX that is compatible with your Mac. So old Macs will only have old FCPX available to download and install.

But all of this is a moot point since he doesn't want learn new software.
Old March 12th, 2022, 01:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks again for all who have chimed in.

Just an update, he has now purchased a couple of used Sony EX-1 camcorders and loves them! He'll be starting to edit his latest project in a few weeks so that will be the ultimate test. We'll see whether he ends up having to upgrade software along the way. With him it's baby steps, exactly as most of you have mentioned he does not want to move to FCPX because it's a completely different animal from the FCP he's used to.
Old March 16th, 2022, 06:00 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
I believe the App Store will allow you only to install the version of FCPX that is compatible with your Mac. So old Macs will only have old FCPX available to download and install.
I don't think that is correct. But if you have already purchased FCPX on your old Mac, you won't be able to tell. In that case, it should allow you to re-download your old version. For somebody who doesn't already own it, the App Store will not allow you to download and will tell you to upgrade to MacOS 11.5.1.

Anyway, it's not really relevant since they don't want to upgrade.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds