DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   First F3 footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/487614-first-f3-footage.html)

Peter Moretti January 11th, 2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yves Simard (Post 1604415)
Just saw your video on Gamma Curves - very useful and thank you. You thinking of doing a more advanced follow up? I have never seen the different looks in a quad screen like that - could be useful on other setting modes.
Cheers

Can you post a link to the video? Thanks.

Alister Chapman January 11th, 2011 02:52 PM

YouTube - XDCAM EX Gamma Curves and Knee, what they do and which ones to use.

Peter Moretti January 12th, 2011 04:24 AM

Thanks much Alister :).

James Houk February 15th, 2011 05:43 AM

So, I just got my production run PMW-F3L (serial #156!) on Saturday, and since my Nikon adapter is still in transit from the UK I rented a set of LOMO Illumina primes and got crackin'.

So, production run camera, just some initial testing, and I'm pretty impressed -

Patrick McLoad February 15th, 2011 09:37 AM

Looks good...thanks for posting.

Chris Medico February 15th, 2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Houk (Post 1618368)
So, I just got my production run PMW-F3L (serial #156!) on Saturday, and since my Nikon adapter is still in transit from the UK I rented a set of LOMO Illumina primes and got crackin'.

So, production run camera, just some initial testing, and I'm pretty impressed - PMW-F3 Test Footage with Karen Waldrup on Vimeo

James, I now totally hate you.... Ok no I don't. But I am totally envious! :)

I hope to be able to play with one at NAB. Then comes the bigger question about how to justify the investment. {sigh}

Thanks for sharing.

David Knaggs February 16th, 2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Houk (Post 1618368)
So, production run camera, just some initial testing, and I'm pretty impressed ...

Thanks very much for posting that, James. I was impressed too!

Did you do all of the different shots with the same Picture Profile or did you use different profiles for different shots?

I really like to see footage that simply demonstrates what the camera itself can do to get the "film look" in the hands of a skilled operator, i.e. without heavy grading. So the various Picture Profiles and other tweaks being used on the F3 are of great interest!

I'm happily shooting with an EX1R at the moment, but the F3 looks like it might be a fantastic tool to get that full "cinema aesthetic".

I look forward to seeing more footage. Thanks.

Chuck Fishbein February 16th, 2011 07:41 PM

Really decent demo james.
Thanks!

Michael Power February 16th, 2011 11:50 PM

I found James Houk's footage the most interesting. Good range of uncontrollable conditions - day with highlights blowing out in bg, not too ugly and likely gradable; interiors in club lit by stage lights and practicals, again, pretty stuff; and even a kitchen scene lit by natural light from a nearby window creating big spot of highlight but otherwise light nicely modelled across two women. So if this is just an example of freehand shooting, imagine what can be done in controlled shoot. Still, you'd have to put up on big screen not over internet before getting its full measure.

The night footage indicates DSLR sensitivity which suggests you can stop the camera down with NDs or not to set DOF to your taste.

Lot of the footage reminded me of the Canon 5D. Which basically makes me wonder why Canon hasn't just ripped the guts out of the 5D and put it in the chassis of one of the prosumer models. Why doesn't anyone ask this? Surely something like this is on the way, as surely as Sony and co are chasing the same market with the near full frame sensor cameras.

Chris Barcellos February 17th, 2011 01:08 AM

Very nice footage by Houk for sure. Almost too perfect ? Wow... unbelievable.

Canon has been very quiet about it all, but it is like that. I'm still wondering what the NXCAM HD Super35 35mm from Sony will be all about, because that is more my budget range. With Panny, Sony, Red, out there, is it possible Canon will spring something at NAB ?

Timur Civan February 19th, 2011 09:42 PM

From my understanding talking to the folks at the Sony dealership, that the NX cam may not be compatible with PL.

it seems to have a Sony Alpha mount. Though im not 100% what is or isnt adaptable.

James Houk March 4th, 2011 06:58 PM

Re: First F3 footage

Here's a finished piece I shot on the PMW-F3 this week with the MTF Nikon adapter and Zeiss ZF lenses:

YouTube - Sheen Pharmaceutical Drug Ad Parody

Nate Weaver March 4th, 2011 08:28 PM

Is that Alex Lucas in there?

James Houk March 4th, 2011 08:33 PM

Wait... you know Alex?!?!?!?!

(Yes, it is)

Doug Jensen March 8th, 2011 07:38 AM

This video was shot over the course of a weekend in Key West, Florida to test the capabilites of the F3. Most of the time during shooting it was just me on foot walking the streets with the camera, a tripod, and a selection of four prime lenses in a backpack.

Lenses used:
Zeiss CP.2 18mm PL
Sony 35mm PL
Sony 50mm PL
Schneider Cine-Xenar 95mm PL

No mattebox, filters, lights, external recorders, or other accessories were used during the shooting. Most footage was shot with the HQ 1920 24P mode and recorded to SxS cards. All slow-mo footage was shot as 1280 24P @ 60 fps. Most of the nighttime shots were done at +12db. Daytime shots are at 0db.

No color grading or post-production filters have been applied. The video is straight out of the camera. Everything was shot using two Picture Profiles I'm still fine-tuning called VORTEX-A and VORTEX-L. The final settings will by talked about in Vortex Media's upcoming "Mastering the Sony PMW-F3" training DVD.