Sony f3 vs pana af-101 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 31st, 2011, 08:22 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony f3 vs pana af-101

Hasbro has an adapter.
Attached Images

Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Vortex Media

Jim, do you have any picture profile recipes for the potato? I understand they don't taste the good right out of the gunny sack.
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:05 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Unfair test! For starters, there are more chips in the potato and a long baking time will always give very crisp results, I just wonder if we should be leaving the skin on to give a more "organic" look?

I think the show is over, the F3 simply can't compete at this level. Time to check out those RED potatoes that I hear everyone praising.

I'll post some more findings as soon as I get them.

Keep 'em peeled!
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew

The Reds are in a different class altogether. Especially when drenched with garlic butter.

I've placed my order for the Hasbro adapter, and expect to begin critical tests when it arrives next week--unless I'm too busy shooting with my new F3. 'Work'-stuff often gets in the way of my serious testing.
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:01 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tittle View Post
There's only one problem: there's no decent way to mount the potato on my tripod. Does anyone know of an adapter I could use?
A 5/8 spud.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #21
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Just a couple of comments.

1) I don't think your F3 is setup properly. The right PP settings make all the difference. All Sony camcorders look terrible "out of the box" and nobody I know would shoot with one that way. Even if you do intend on grading, you still have to set some parameters. Not doing basic camera setup, invalidates the comparison.

2) "We tried to keep the FOV as similar as we could between the 2 cams".
Well, this eliminates one of the big advantages of the F3 over the AF100. Micro 4/3 is not a big sensor compared to Super35. Why not compare the F3 to a XF305 or EX1 if you're going to eliminate DoF from the test.

Just my impressions about the testing.
Very much agree. The first setting F3 users need to absolutely change on the STANDARD profile is to TURN AUTO KNEE OFF and set it manually to 80.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 05:34 PM   #22
Major Player

BBC setting is to set the knee to 87 and have a slope of 60. I pretty sure the logic behind 87 is to give some headroom to clear the fleshtones. I have used this setting on my EX3 for a while and set it up that way on the F3. The results appear to be the same.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta