Controlling the iris with MTF adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 24th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Controlling the iris with MTF adapter

I was using the lock screw as a handle until I decided that it's too fragile for that purpose. I think I'd eventually snap it off, bend it or strip the threads in the hole. The blue ring was too slippery for me, so I bought some rubber bumpers--the kind you put on the back of a picture frame--and stuck them to the ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Controlling the iris with MTF adapter-bumps.jpg  
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Another good solution. Thank you for sharing.
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #18
Major Player

That looks pretty cool Jim. But how do you remove the PL mount adapter from the F3? Maybe I'll try the manual.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Funny that you should ask. I had a hell of a time getting mine off--might have something to do with the cold weather here and all that aluminum. I was at my local Sony dealer, and I asked the repair tech for help. We fussed with it for awhile, and finally, it came off. You just have to grab the two black prongs on the breach lock and push counter-clockwise. If you push it the wrong way, it can be very hard to remove later.
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Trustee

2 peopl;e at my dealer were having a terrible time of it. I looked at it turned the prongs a=nd it came off. There really nisn't anything to it. Justy beleive in the force and trust your self .
Clockwise makes it tighter. Counterclockwise loosens. Plain old fashioned screwing.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Re: Expansion Coefficients

You're in California. I'm in Minnesota. It's winter. Everything is cold and tight here.
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #22
Major Player

Had my first experience with the MTF adapter at Rule in Boston with the F3. Yes, the first attempt of the removal of the Sony mount is a bear. Finally it came off counterclockwise , and after that first attempt it was easier to remove there after. Removal of the Sony PL mount takes some weight away from the camera.

I ended up removing my modification on the MTF adapter, (see previous post) and will use it without it. I found it a bit too clumsy with another gizmo protruding.

The MTF aperture contol is very sensitive to adjust the lens aperture. With a small amount of rotation the MTF adapter makes big changes quickly, unlike using a manual lens. I did use the MTF's adjustment to control the manual lens aperture as well, it worked well, but sensitive. Once a f stop is chosen than this is a mute issue. I have yet to try a non-manual aperture lens with the MTF.

The MTF adapter is well made and the lens fit quite well with no play. A good tool to expand the F3's lens choices.

Still awaiting on the F3 delivery and then my experience with the adapter will be in the real world.

Last edited by Steve Cahill; March 30th, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Steve Cahill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta